Using old HDD

Ryan Underwood

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm looking for a specific answer. I think I may need to build a new PC if the results come in from a guy that I'm having look at it aren't good. I may as well buy a new SSD with a new OS, but. I been using a HDD for everything else, steam, games, download, ect. Will I be able to hook it up to a new system without complications? I really can't afford to lose 500 GB worth. Would it be wise to just get Win10 or just stick with 7?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Once you install a new copy of Win7 on the SSD, it won't know anything about the stuff on the old HDD. You'll be forced to install all your apps, pgms anew. There may be a work-around for the Steam Games, however. You should just have to re-install Steam if you follow this guide: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129
A similar work-around might be able to be done for Origin games. http://www.overclock.net/t/1222388/guide-moving-reinstalling-origin-and-games-without-re-downloading

Ryan Underwood

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Am I simply able to just reinstall over the old one? And just copy any steam app files I don't want to redownload? Or do I delete steam altogether? Does verify steam cache re-apply registry keys to the new OS drive? I dunno, all those workaround guides have so much text it boggles my mind.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The Steam guide is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I don't think I could improve on it any.
What I would do is Install the old HDD as the 2nd drive in the new build. Install Win to the new SSD. Then follow the 5 steps in the link I sent. Except you won't have to "Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location". It is (technically) already moved... physically! Then, Just run the steam.exe file. It will build itself back the way it was, except now Win knows where everything is.

Ryan Underwood

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

Eh? I thought since the new OS drive has no registry steam wouldn't be able to launch period? Since it has no registry would I be able to just copy steam apps and move em then delete the steam folder, replace old steam apps, reinstall, launch, and verify steam cache? Or is it more complicated than that? My bad, I mean replace apps after reinstalling steam. Editing text is a pain, I'm using an IPad atm.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As soon as Win is installed on the new drive, there will be a Windows Registry. The registry is part of the Win OS. So I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Put the drives in the PC. SSD as C; drive. Old HDD as a 2nd drive. Install Win, your drivers, and all the Win updates. Go to the HDD and delete everything in the steam folder except for the file steam.exe and the steamapps folder*. Run steam.exe and let it rebuild itself along with the new location pointers. What could be simpler?

*steamapps folder contains all your games