[SOLVED] Using old laptop hard drive in a different laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 2, 2020
Hello.

I had an HP Pavilion laptop. It broke. I checked at a store - the hard drive is OK.

I want to buy a laptop and put the old drive inside the laptop.
I do NOT want to re-install or uninstall anything. I want to use all the programs and files exactly as they were.

I've heard this is possible if you buy the EXACT model of laptop again. This is looking very difficult to do.

Is it possible to buy a laptop with very similar specifications?
Which specifications are important in ensuring I can use my old hard drive with no problem.
Processor? Hard drive type of the laptop? Memory? Brand?

I'm assuming the software specs of the laptop I buy won't be relevant, as I would be using my old hard drive?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
Hello.

I had an HP Pavilion laptop. It broke. I checked at a store - the hard drive is OK.

I do NOT want to re-install or uninstall anything. I want to use all the programs and files exactly as they were.

I've heard this is possible if you buy the EXACT model of laptop again. This is looking very difficult to do.

Is it possible to buy a laptop with very similar specifications?
Which specifications are important in ensuring I can use my old hard drive with no problem.
Processor? Hard drive type of the laptop? Memory? Brand?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I do NOT want to re-install or...