[SOLVED] Using old modem/router as extender ?

Jul 22, 2021
I have put old modem/router far away from the new one via ethernet cable CAT5e (wifi signals don’t mix at all), but what happens is that now WiFi on my new routher stutters (intermittently turns off for few seconds every minute or so)

To the old modem/router I have connected a Xiaomi camera.

On my laptop connected to new router I use DHCP.

It is as if old modem/router steals priority from new one. Any suggestions?

Solution
It has nothing to do with priority between wifi and ethernet. It is purely a bandwidth issue. It really doesn't matter what type of media the traffic comes in on. Now in theory a ethernet port could use 1gbit and fully saturate the connection going to the router chip . This would not directly affect the wifi and you have a major design issue if you have 1gbit of traffic running. Internal to the router the wifi chip connects to the cpu/switch very similar to a ethernrt port. Even if you wanted to there is no way to give one priority over the other they are all treated the same......Ie they all try to take as much as they possibly can.

This is where you must do some more careful tests. There is a huge difference between...
It has nothing to do with priority between wifi and ethernet. It is purely a bandwidth issue. It really doesn't matter what type of media the traffic comes in on. Now in theory a ethernet port could use 1gbit and fully saturate the connection going to the router chip . This would not directly affect the wifi and you have a major design issue if you have 1gbit of traffic running. Internal to the router the wifi chip connects to the cpu/switch very similar to a ethernrt port. Even if you wanted to there is no way to give one priority over the other they are all treated the same......Ie they all try to take as much as they possibly can.

This is where you must do some more careful tests. There is a huge difference between machines in your house using all your internet bandwidth and some issue that only occurs on the wifi. If you plug a pc directly into the main router via ethernet does it have the same problem. Problems that only occur in the wifi are not caused by the other router, it would be some kind of interference. If you have issues on the main router when you are connected via ethernet also then you need to see what the cameras are doing. Maybe they are uploading too much data to the internet and exceeding your upload rate.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Jul 22, 2021

This is where you must do some more careful tests. There is a huge difference between machines in your house using all your internet bandwidth and some issue that only occurs on the wifi. If you plug a pc directly into the main router via ethernet does it have the same problem. Problems that only occur in the wifi are not caused by the other router, it would be some kind of interference. If you have issues on the main router when you are connected via ethernet also then you need to see what the cameras are doing. Maybe they are uploading too much data to the internet and exceeding your upload rate.

I have 300Mbps download and 50Mbps upload.
I have one EC3 camera conntected to second/problematic router taking 200 KB/S

I used to have stuttering problem on my main router when using my phone via wifi, but I have switched to DHCP and problem went away.

1. Test with other router
When I plug in different router as extender (TP link TD-W8961ND) problem disappears
Problem occurs with TP link AC1750 D7.

I would rather use the latter since speeds are better and range is better.

2. Test with problematic router, but with ethernet cable in my laptop
When I use the other problematic router (TP link AC1750 D7), but with ethernet cable in my laptop problem still exists.

3. Also, when old modem/router is off the problem is gone.

If DHCP fixes things then I suspect you have some kind of conflict with the other router. You have to be very sure the second router is running as a AP. Key things to check is the DHCP server function in the AP, second router is off. Also be very sure that the lan IP address does not conflict with your main router or other devices. In most cases you can set it to a very high value like x.x.x250. You could see what IP were outside the DHCP range of the main router instead.

Jul 22, 2021
Your response is cohesive, but it's a bit out of my comfort zone with settings. For now I can report that using a (third) router (not modem/router) has solved the problem.