Using old PATA harddrive to new computer does not boot

Oct 25, 2018
I'm trying to boot into my extremely old hard drive that uses PATA i think.. i got a adapter for it to make it into a USB but in the bios there is no option to boot from it. The old drive uses dos i think. Is there any posibilities to boot it in my brand new computer ? Thanks you for the answers

Oct 25, 2018

The old drive have a program that my dad wrote long time ago, and I do not want to invest more money for new programs which cost a lot and also if I were to invest in new program, i would also need to train the staff but there is not much funds left currently so I wanted to save what I can. At first, I wanted to upgrade the computer but because of the hardware being too old, it makes the upgrade almost impossible especially because of the gap in technology. If there is a proper way to upgrade it please do tell me, I am lacking the knowledge to upgrade my ancient computer. Thanks ^^

kanewolf

Titan
To get the data off the drive, including any programs, you don't have to get it to boot. Only be visible to the computer.
If your dad wrote the program, do you have the source code? If so, recompiling, with more modern libraries might be easier.

Oct 25, 2018

Sadly the source code is no longer available because he wrote it over 20 years ago. If I were to bring out all the files, is it possible to boot up the program with the newer hard drive ? my goal is to keep the program he made so that it would still work on newer hardware, is it possible to do so or should I look for other alternatives ? thank you for answering ^^

kanewolf

Titan
Unknown if it would work. For instance, I don't think 16bit programs will run in newer Windows OS. You might be able to run it in a virtual machine. But I think the first thing you have to do is get the files off the old disk. You may have to buy used, old hardware to get the data off. I don't have a guaranteed solution.

USAFRet

Titan
What, specifically, does this application do?
Likely, requirements and needs have changed in the last 20 years.

As a developer, I've seen that sort of requirement dozens of times.
"We need to keep this old program running, because we can't train them to use something new."

Not realizing that the only reason the old program seems optimal is because they're so used to it. Even though it is actually a really crappy application.
Not understanding what is actually possible with something new. I've rewritten old applications that were supposedly critical and irreplaceable.
Result? More functionality, and about an hour of "training". Click here, click there, done.

What does this thing actually do?

About the only time where it is critical to keep some old thing operational is if it were running some old, obscure and proprietary piece of machinery.

Oct 25, 2018

The program is specifically made for accounting and information management for my company, some changes in data have occurred occasionally, but not the essential code which have been there for as long as I know, I'm not a programmer myself so I could not do much about the coding. I have compared lots of newer programs but it does not give all the information the company need, and some gives too much and cost too much and the company denied my offers. I'm living in Thailand which limits many things I can do about newer programs and training I wanted to give to employee, also the employee is not adapt to newer technology so a change in program could result in too large margin of error, which already happen once and cost the company quite a hefty sum, so now I'm in programming side trying to help out the company a little and am trying to get the old program running but in a more stable computer, because the old computer is already too old and already crash a couple of times and replacement part are almost impossible to find in Thailand. Also the company wanted to keep the cost extremely low, which is why I'm facing all the problems I'm facing now. hope this answer your questions, please advise me what to do, I'm also happy to answer more questions.