Using old phone lines for Ethernet

Aug 26, 2018
I found a few threads on this, but didn't see my exact question addressed. All my phone lines are run in a loop using Cat5 cabling. I understand that without homeruns I can't put them all to a single switch. My idea is to put RJ45 heads on both cables at each existing phone jack, which create the loop, and run them into a 4-port dummy switch. So, each room in my house with a phone jack will now have a 4-port switch with 2 open ports. Then, I just plug my router into the loop and voila...a home network with internet. Will this work? What simple thing am I missing? Seems too easy. Is daisy-chaining dumb switches even possible?

Solution
It will likely work but lots of failure points if some random switch or cable would go bad....but when you have few other options I guess you just live with this.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I can't really think of a reason that you couldn't stack hubs that way. IP camera systems do much the same thing. The issue I see is actual bandwidth after all was said and done. I would think you would have much better speed results with a wireless web network (pucks) and a few adapters.

Many moons ago (when 3Com was a thing) they had an application guide saying that there should be no more that four (or five, don't remember, this was 20+ years ago) hops between the end points.

I would rather suggest something similar, yet not the same. In each room, terminate the runs with RJ45 keystone, and put them on a nice faceplate. In rooms where no wired Ethernet is needed, just use 2" Ethernet cable to close the loop.