Using old power supply on new rig

May 13, 2018
My last build (almost ten years ago) had a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750. My system went belly up and I wasn't able to really diagnose the problem source. So now I'm (haven't got all parts yet) about to build a new one and am wondering if the power supply was the culprit; would I be risking damage to new components by trying the old power supply.

Would you be at risk? Potentially... though perhaps not. The question you need to ask yourself is this: Is it worth the chance that an old PSU could flame out and take my new system with it or is it more worth it to absorb the added cost of a new PSU and mitigate the risk?

I'd buy a new, quality unit if I were in your position.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you are handy at all at reading a meter, and have one, the rails are not hard to check on your PSU...however, 10 someodd years old it's probably time anyway. I wouldn't push anything near what it was rated if I were trying it. With that said, I use old power supplies often in low cost "friend build/giveaways". I have come to find that many of the old Dell server style ATX supplies work pretty well at about half the rated.....YMMV

May 13, 2018

That was my thought and yes I do actually have a 550 PS on order. My wife and I (she especially) try not to contribute to landfills ad recycling.

May 13, 2018

Yes I'll use a new one and hang onto the old for possible future needs. Thanks all.

Susquehannock

Honorable
That model PSU has a 60-amp 12-volt rail. Should be plenty to power a decent graphics card and CPU.

PCP&C were very good. Have a 425w unit that I bought in 2003 that still holds 1-2% tolerance under heavy load in my WinXP gaming rig.

May 13, 2018

TRENDING THREADS