Using old router as a repeater/switch for a desktop PC.

May 12, 2018
-- EDIT --
I got it working.
-------------

Hey everyone. I just got new internet setup at my place and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my desktop PC connected. My modem is in my living room and the only device in my house is my desktop which does not have a WiFi card and for performance reasons, I'd like it to stay connected via ethernet.

Is it possible to use my old router as a repeater (router connected to modem via WiFi) but have the router not broadcast a WiFi signal (for signal interference reasons)? Essentially I'd like my old router to connect to my modem via the WiFi signal being broadcast by the modem, then have my PC connected to the old router via ethernet while the router at the same time isn't re-broadcasting the modems WiFi signal.

Solution
WEll you listed performance as a reason. If cost is an issue then you need to check the router manufacturers website and look up how to use it as a wifi bridge, however not all routers support this. There are open source firmwares for certain brands of routers so you'll have to find that yourself based on the model.
May 12, 2018

Trying to save some money. Thanks for your input though.

WEll you listed performance as a reason. If cost is an issue then you need to check the router manufacturers website and look up how to use it as a wifi bridge, however not all routers support this. There are open source firmwares for certain brands of routers so you'll have to find that yourself based on the model.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

A "repeater", either an actual access point or a repurposed router...is still WiFi.
You'll not see actual ethernet performance.