[SOLVED] Using old ssd to a new motherboard

Feb 23, 2019
So im going to buy a new motherboard and im wondering if i can still use it as my ssd to my new motherboard. I didnt reformat my ssd so my windows 10 and drivers are still inside.
What do i need to do?

Solution
So im going to buy a new motherboard and im wondering if i can still use it as my ssd to my new motherboard. I didnt reformat my ssd so my windows 10 and drivers are still inside.
What do i need to do?
Try it anyway, possibly with internet connected by wire so it can pull drivers as needed. If it's only MB you are changing and the rest is same platform (CPU still same) chances that it would work are quite high. W10 is pretty good for that.
Other problem could be with windows registration/licensing. Retail version is straight forward but if it's OEM license, you may have to call MS and tell them that you had to change MB because it died. It may be easier if you registered it with an MS account. Most of the time that works as...
What do i need to do?
Try it anyway, possibly with internet connected by wire so it can pull drivers as needed. If it's only MB you are changing and the rest is same platform (CPU still same) chances that it would work are quite high. W10 is pretty good for that.
Other problem could be with windows registration/licensing. Retail version is straight forward but if it's OEM license, you may have to call MS and tell them that you had to change MB because it died. It may be easier if you registered it with an MS account. Most of the time that works as soon as it connects to it.

Solution
You can remove all drivers and keep installed programs by using sysprep. It has to be done on old hardware the disk has been used on (hopefully, you still have it around).

Execute this:

C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe

Select "Enter system out-of-box (OOBE) experience" and check "generalize".

Shutdown options: "shutdown".

Remove the drive immediately after shutdown and don't boot it until you put it into your new rig.

However, this method will also deactivate windows and office if you have it (remove the key) so you will either need to reactivate them (if you had retail key before) or get a new licence (if you had OEM key).

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
It should work just fine, biggest problem is motherboard + cpu usually but as long as your new motherboard is compatible with the cpu your ssd shouldnt have any sort of problems.