[SOLVED] Using old system hard disk on other laptop?

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hi All,

I have a decade old dell studio laptop , I believe its a legacy hardware(bios?) I have installed windows 10 over windows 7 which it originaly came with.
I also have HP TS 11 laptop with windows 10 loaded. Can I swap hard disk on both laptops?

I took out HDD from Dell and tried to boot from it externally as usb drive on HP laptop, but it gives authecticate error AX01 . I did some reading and changed bios setting in HP to Legacy enabled and security disabled, boot order USB. still I get the error, I again went into BIOS and I could see that again Legacy is enabled automatically.

Any solutions?
Secondly , will I face similar errors if I put HP HDD into dell laptop?

tHANKS

Solution
Mistyped 😂 it's not a office laptop. It's personal with lots of personal data. So I will have to somehow password protect the partition. How?
Do you have another suitable drive handy? I'd consider taking tat one out, and putting in some random drive with no personal data on it.

Or again, connect it via USB and copy that data off. The "repair" may still incur a full reinstall. No matter who does it.

USAFRet

Titan
So what is the solution to reinstall windows on dell laptop Hard drive?
Win 10, right?

Easy...just create your own USB to install with, boot from that, and go.

Have only ONE drive physically connected when you do this.
Delete ALL existing partitions during the install, and continue with a blank drive.

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
That is the issue , cannot do anything with that black display

So do I have to take it out from laptop connect it to hp laptop , clean install win10 and then connect back hdd into dell?

Will the win 10 installed from hp work on dell , as both are different BIOS?

USAFRet

Titan
That is the issue , cannot do anything with that black display

So do I have to take it out from laptop connect it to hp laptop , clean install win10 and then connect back hdd into dell?

Will the win 10 installed from hp work on dell , as both are different BIOS?
?

No....you install the OS on the drive, while it is in the correct system.

If the laptop has display issues, thats a whole other thing.
But you can't install while it is in the HP and then move it to the Dell.

Reactions: icarus2712

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
I strongly believe that the display drivers are corrupted big time and it's not hardware issue. Actually this laptop is not a win 10 supprted laptop and all the drivers had to be installed in Win 7 compatible mode. Even then it was working fine before last win 10 update.

There has to be some way to reinstall windows 🙄 to make good display drivers.

USAFRet

Titan
I strongly believe that the display drivers are corrupted big time and it's not hardware issue. Actually this laptop is not a win 10 supprted laptop and all the drivers had to be installed in Win 7 compatible mode. Even then it was working fine before last win 10 update.

There has to be some way to reinstall windows 🙄 to make good display drivers.
If you just power up with NO drive, or just the Win 10 USB (or a Linux LiveUSB), does anything appear on the screen?

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Ok. Since it's a office laptop how do I password protect my data partition and handover to repair shop. I don't want them to snoop around. I have partioined the drive into C and D(data). Can it be done connected the hdd to hp laptop as usb drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. Since it's a office laptop how do I password protect my data partition and handover to repair shop. I don't want them to snoop around. I have partioined the drive into C and D(data). Can it be done connected the hdd to hp laptop as usb drive?
Since its an office system, you really should be storing sensitive personal info on it anyway.
It is technically their property.

You could possibly hook it up via USB and remove anything personal and sensitive.

Quite likely the IT guy will, as part of fixing this, do a full wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
Mistyped 😂 it's not a office laptop. It's personal with lots of personal data. So I will have to somehow password protect the partition. How?
Do you have another suitable drive handy? I'd consider taking tat one out, and putting in some random drive with no personal data on it.

Or again, connect it via USB and copy that data off. The "repair" may still incur a full reinstall. No matter who does it.

Solution

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Got it. Transferring data seems to be the only solution. Actually it's very old laptop and I am not in a mood to spend money repairing it. Win 10 is not compatible, win 7 cannot use due to security issues. Lets c what can be done. Thanks .