Question Using onboard graphics for 2nd display

Nexrus

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hello,

I'm running a dual monitor setup with a 2070. One monitor is 144Hz, while the 2nd one is 60Hz. There seems to be a common issue where gaming performance is severely effected when watching a video (YouTube, Twitch, etc) on the 2nd monitor. I've tried all the recommended solutions (disable hardware acceleration, disable g-sync, chrome ad-dons, etc) and nothing seems to fix the issue.

The only suggestion I've not tried is using my onboard GPU to run my 2nd monitor. I have no problem giving this a try but can anyone tell me if there are any negative effects from doing so?

Any advice and help is much appreciated.

Nexrus

Honorable
May 28, 2013
The only problem would be if the BIOS disables the iGPU when there is a gfx card in the PCIe x16 slot or not.
Btw, how do you watch a movie/video while gaming?

It’s usualy a sports game or twitch. I’ll watch during load screens and slow parts of the video game. It’s really not that hard...

Are you sure the gpu is the limiting factor? Things like YouTube and Twitch are dependent on the cpu and not gpu.

Nah, CPU usage doesn’t jump up enough. And it’s not a GPU resource issue either. It happens with any game you play, even ones that are not demanding at all. It’s something with the multiple refresh rates.

Jun 7, 2019
i have a problem i have an msi trident 3 arctic gaming pc and im trying to connect my second monitor to it but it doesnt display my pc from on board hdmi i have tried bios and stuff watching videos but i have not solved it yet can you guys help me?
i have tried to change the onboard settings but seems like it doesnt work.
ive disabled on board lan and enabled but nothing works.
i saw someone complain about this on msi forums but he had no reply.
btw i have gtx 1050 and intel i5 8400 if this helps