[SOLVED] Using one 4pin 12v conector and the 4pin connector of the 20pin+4pin conector to power my graphics card?

msalcedorivas

Commendable
Jan 5, 2019
my psu is old and I have only one 4pin 12v connector. However, I could use the 4pin connector that comes with the 20pin + 4 pin connector that makes for the 24pin total for the motherboard. Would that work or is just not possible? I checked that the pins fit, at least in shape.

Solution
not a chance.

the pins are not the same as what a pcie connection has. you need a new psu that can power your gpu or a gpu that does not need any extra power. no amount of adapters is going to somehow create extra power even if one existed to change the way it looks. adapters do not create power, they only change the look of an underpowered and incorrect connection

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not a chance.

the pins are not the same as what a pcie connection has. you need a new psu that can power your gpu or a gpu that does not need any extra power. no amount of adapters is going to somehow create extra power even if one existed to change the way it looks. adapters do not create power, they only change the look of an underpowered and incorrect connection

Solution