Question Using one cat 5 cable for two devices

pewe

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
I have a cat 5 cable running in the walls from the lounge, where the router is locate, to a bedroom on the first floor.

I need another connection in a second bedroom and could put a network socket in there on a wall behind the socket in the first bedroom.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please) that only four of the eight wires in the cat 5 cable are used.

If I'm correct, could I replace the single socket in the lounge with a twin socket and connect the unused 4 wires to the second socket, then put the unused wires in the bedroom through the wall and connect to a new socket in the second bedroom.

Is this arrangement likely to cause issues with transmission, as it would save a lot of extra work trying to run a new cable.

Tia

It is likely that all 8 wires are being used. Even if all 8 are not being used, it's never a good idea to run two network connections through the same cable sheath.

It's probably easiest to just install a small workgroup switch in the room you want to provide with a second network connection.

You'll need the switch, of course; as well as a patch cable from the wall jack to the switch, and appropriate length cables to reach each computer.