Using partitions to prevent deleting steam games in Clean Install?

Cozzy258

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Hello I'm currently on win7 and it is located on a 250gb hdd and I have my steam games on my secondary hdd of 2tb as my windows is linked to this mobo when I swap it out I will need to repurchase windows and install it. I could use the upgrade function however I'm going to keep the 250gb hdd take it out and put together all of my older components to reconstruct my original optiplex 790 sff. My question is that if I can shrink the partition on my 2tb hdd to say 500gb to store all my steam games and install win8 on another partition of the 2tb hdd and keep my steam games on that other partition untill I have done yet another clean install of win10.

I have just came up with this idea whilst in the shower and I have no idea whether this would work or not and do not know how to implement it.

Thanks

Solution

Defrag.
Then in Disk Management, see if you can shrink that partition.
Format the other partition.

Steam games can be moved among drives or partitions. See this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Other games and applications will need to be reinstalled after you install the new OS.

USAFRet

Titan
With your Optiplex, it will need an OS reinstall.

For your other situation, that would probably work.
2TB drive...500GB OS partition, 1.5TB other partition. Just be careful when you do the OS install, and select the proper partition.

Cozzy258

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Currently I have the entire 2tb drive as one partition how would I shrink it to 500gb?

USAFRet

Titan

Defrag.
Then in Disk Management, see if you can shrink that partition.
Format the other partition.

Steam games can be moved among drives or partitions. See this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Other games and applications will need to be reinstalled after you install the new OS.

Solution