Question Using PC with 5.1 surround Sound av receiver and 144hz monitor

crazyman158

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Ok so my current setup is a 60 hz refresh monitor with my 5.1 AV receiver. I want to get a 144hz with display port but my only problem is that I run hdmi passthrough on my receiver. The receiver only has hdmi and optical cable on the back. Can I run an hdmi from my gpu to my receiver and then run a display port from my gpu to my monitor and everything work? Or do I run display port from gpu to monitor and have to use optical cable for audio (which is supported on my computer). OR is there no solution at all and I have to stay on 60hz to use my current receiver and pc at the same time?

Did this EVER worked, or is this a new connection?

You should PC ---(HDMI)-->Receiver--(HDMI)-->Display.

Don't confuse display refresh rate with Frame Rate your GPU is outputting. Your receiver is unlikely to be able to handle > 60 FPS, in which case u may have to hook up PC to Display directly for video, then add another Toslink PC to Receiver for audio.

Last edited:

Rodario

Reputable
May 28, 2015
You have misunderstood the problem. He wants to run his display at 144hz, but the AV receiver can't do that.

@op the problem with your plan is that there will be screen tears if the receiver and monitor are set to different refresh rates.

I am facing the same problem but do not have a solution.