• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Using performance monitor to troubleshoot windows slow downs

Jul 15, 2019
I did something very stupid a couple weeks ago and changed the permissions on my C drive. I was just not thinking and next think you know, all sorts of issues. I seemed able to get permissions restored and everything back and working again. However, I currently have been seeing an issue where my computer bogs down. Essentially, programs start 'Not Responding'. A reboot resolves it, but then it happens again. I do not wish to reboot my computer on a regular basis. I am desperately trying to avoid having to install Windows fresh. I suspect it may be related to my foray into the permissions, but it also could have to do with having installed a new (additional) GPU, or applying the latest windows update. The curious thing about all this is that the hardware utilization doesn't appear close to capacity. So I am not sure what the bottleneck is. Memory usually tops out around 60 - 65%, and when programs are 'Not Responding' the CPU is usually around 30% utilization. I've set up a data collector on performance monitor, but the problem is I do not know what to look for. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be appreciated.

Hardware Specs:
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe II
i9-9980XE
64 GB Ram
Intel Optane 905p (C drive)
Samsung Evo 860
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Nvidia Quadro P4000

ASK THE COMMUNITY