Question Using printer wifi on pc

Walker1080

Honorable
Aug 22, 2014
So, I'm trying to do something a little silly. I recently purchased a new system board and accidentally downgraded to one without Wi-Fi. Since I have to wait a while to get a Wi-Fi adapter, I was curious if I could use my printers Wi-Fi card via the usb cable? I assume 100% the software doesn't exist because why would it but I'm curious people's thoughts. Is this doable? Why isn't it doable? Excetera.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The closest thing I could suggest to you which is easy is to utilize an old mobile phone tethered to the PC and using it's WiFi. There are several programs in which you can use to make it happen, or at least used to be. It is not uncommon (if you pay for it) to be able to utilize the phones actual 4/5G data connection tethered by USB as an alternate to the above, but would not be a part of your home network.

The other. No.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Printer: make, model?

Network router: make, model?

On the basis that your computer is currently using a wired connection to the network router you would just set up the printer as a wireless device on the network.

The computer should then be able to "see" the printer and send print jobs as needed.

Then when you change your computer to wireless via the pending Wi-Fi adapter nothing else needs to be changed.

(Just remember to remove an disable the computer's wired connectivity at that time.)

Ralston18

Titan
@punkncat Thanks. No disagreement.

However, since OP mentioned needing to "wait awhile" to get a Wi-Fi adapter my thought was that there is/was a requirement for printing in the meantime.

(And on second thought, that requirement could also be met via a direct USB connection between computer and printer. Computer would/could, in the interim, share the printer with other network computers.)

In any case, will defer to OP accordingly. My response may truly be moot and become one of those "well nevermind" posts.

Hopefully no harm, no foul. :)

Reactions: punkncat

Walker1080

Honorable
Aug 22, 2014
This would be trying to use the printer as a hotspot?
PC connected to the printer via USB, and the printer talking to the router via WiFi?

Yeah....that's not gonna work.
Yes this is what I was talking about. My only way to run a hard cable line to my pc would be to run it through three rooms in an apartment that I rent. I know that there isn't a way to do it but is there a reason why you couldn't do it? Is it just that the program doesn't exist?