Using ps/2 keyboard and mouse through single ps/2

G

Back in 1995 I bought a laptop that had a single ps/2 port for both keyboard and mouse. It used a Y adapter to let you connect both devices to the port. Was this a special feature of the laptop?

I just bought a KVM Switch so that I can connect two of my computers to the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The switch however only has a 15pin connector for the monitor and a 6pin connector for a ps/2 keyboard. What I would like to do is be able to connect the ps/2 keyboard and mouse to this single connector on my switch. And then do the reverse between each computer and the switch.

I have searched for information about the ps/2 standard and came up with some conflicting information about the pinout of the 6pin connector. Most of the things I have read state that pin 1 is mouse/keyboard data, pin 5 is the mouse/keyboard clock, pins 2 and 6 are NC reserved lines. I read one page that said that you can run the Keyboard data on pin 1, Keyboard clock on pin 5, Mouse data on pin 2, and Mouse clock on pin 6. Is this possible?

Can anyone:

tell me for sure if both the mouse and the keyboard use this same pinout?

tell me why the pin 2 and pin 6 are NC reserved? Is it for this purpose?

I hope this is not too long. Thank you for your time in reading, thinking, and responding to this message.

:)

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Dontknow - but IBM StinkPad's still use that Y-connector for both today! And ya can plug em in either way, or switch em, and they still work...

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
You said you bought a KVM switch, but you didn't. KVM = <b>K</b>eyboard <b>V</b>ideo <b>M</b>ouse. Why not get the one you really need?