Using RAID and one HD

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I've heard of using a single hard drive and RAID 0 to boost performance. Does anybody know anything about that? I have a P4P800 Deluxe motherboard with onboard RAID and a single 120 gb hard drive broken into 3 partitions. How would one go about using this setup with RAID and would there be a significant performance boost?

molior

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
okay you've got the wrong end of the stick here. RAID0 gains its performence by spreading the readin & writing load over many disks. With each disk taking a percentage of that load the disk operations are quicker especialy for sustained linar file transfers.

What you're sugesting will DECREASE performence considrably as it will increase the seeks needed to get the data of the disk!

I sugest reading the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=61149#61149" target="_new">RAID FAQ</A>

Row like mortals, think like gods.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Actually, I did read the RAID FAQ before posting and I was wondering how that could possibly work. Maybe it wasn't RAID 0 that I heard about, but I know some people are using RAID with a single drive. What the advantages are (if any)is what I'm trying to find out.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Okay, I got the poop on this thing. You don't actually use a RAID setup, but a just the RAID controller for a single drive. The speed of the controller can boost the performance of the drive.