[SOLVED] Using RAM that isn't supported by the MOBO manufacturer

psilobob2020

Reputable
Dec 7, 2017
I have a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Extreme motherboard and want to use the following RAM:
https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1580378466/F4-4000C15Q2-64GTZR-Qvl

The "Memory Support List" for the Gigabyte board does not include it, and oddly, the "Qualified Vendor List" for this ram is specific to X299 boards. The motherboard does support the RAM's specifications, though...

I understand RAM can be used even when it's not officially supported but my concern (being new to AMD) is whether or not these will even work at all. Do I run the risk of that?

Thank you!

Solution
QVL is qualified vendor list, not qualified Ram list. Big difference.

All ram is made by only a few OEMs, like Samsung or SkHynix or Micron. Then they slap on a chunk of metal, a paint job and call it by any of a 1000 vendors. You'll find the exact same SkHynix powering Corsair LPX as Kingston HyperX, or the same Samsung in Gskill Trident-Z as Patriot Elite.

Each chunk of metal has a different model number, as does each rgb, each color, each speed, kit, timing etc. So blue HyperX is the same as red or black or white HyperX underneath. Different model. If it's a different looking heatsink, same thing, different model.

So looking at the QVL, and not finding your exact model number means nothing. Doesn't mean it's not...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
QVL is qualified vendor list, not qualified Ram list. Big difference.

All ram is made by only a few OEMs, like Samsung or SkHynix or Micron. Then they slap on a chunk of metal, a paint job and call it by any of a 1000 vendors. You'll find the exact same SkHynix powering Corsair LPX as Kingston HyperX, or the same Samsung in Gskill Trident-Z as Patriot Elite.

Each chunk of metal has a different model number, as does each rgb, each color, each speed, kit, timing etc. So blue HyperX is the same as red or black or white HyperX underneath. Different model. If it's a different looking heatsink, same thing, different model.

So looking at the QVL, and not finding your exact model number means nothing. Doesn't mean it's not supported, chances are extremely good that it is. With a different kit, different color, different vendor, different number. Same ram.

Solution

psilobob2020

Reputable
Dec 7, 2017

TRENDING THREADS