[SOLVED] Using RGB fans with a non-RGB motherboard?

Apr 15, 2020
When getting parts to build my PCs a year ago, I also bought a set of DeepCool RF120 fans so I could add some lighting to both of my set-ups. I didn't actually try to install them until now, and I think they're actually incompatible with my motherboards; they need a 12v RGB header from the mobo, but my Asus z97A and MSI z170A SLI PLUS mobos don't have RGB headers at all.

1. Is there a way I could use a non-DeepCool fan controller to control these? Or am I gonna have to try to trade these with someone else for a different set of fans?

2. In general, is it safe to run these just off the 4pin fan slots on the board, using them as non-LED fans essentially?

Reactions: bencos2018
Solution
I can't find any pictures of the connections - are they using a standard 3or4pin fan connection PLUS a 12V RGB connector?

If they're using a proprietary all-in-one, single connector, then you'd need to use their own controller most likely.
If they're using standard connections, any 12V RGB controller should suffice.

If the fan uses a standard 4pin fan header connection for operation/PWM control, you can use then as fans, sans RGB.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I can't find any pictures of the connections - are they using a standard 3or4pin fan connection PLUS a 12V RGB connector?

If they're using a proprietary all-in-one, single connector, then you'd need to use their own controller most likely.

If the fan uses a standard 4pin fan header connection for operation/PWM control, you can use then as fans, sans RGB.

Reactions: DragonCatsHave2Feet
Solution
Apr 15, 2020

The DeepCool RF120 fans have both a 4pin fan connector and a 12v RGB connector (these can daisy-chain together so that you connect all of them to the same single header on a mobo).

So it sounds to me like I'd be able to use any 12v RGB controller that connects via USB or SATA. Thank you!

EDIT: Well, it would solve the problem if I could find any products like that. Unfortunately, I may have to try and sell this set of fans and just get a different set for my own needs.

Last edited: