[SOLVED] Using same pin connector for new GTX?

Nick.R

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
Greetings everyone,

Sorry if my question seems a little stupid. To be honest I am not the most computer friendly person!

My question:

I will upgrade my Asus Stryx GTX 970 to an Asus Stryx 1660 Super next week.

I haven’t received the 1660S yet and I was just looking at how was installed my GTX 970.

Can I just swap the card and use the same pin power connector on the new 1660S??Both seem to be the usual 8pin.

Or I need to change the whole cable?

When they did the installation they kinda merged the GPU power cable with the whole tower stuff and other cables! It seems to be a puzzle for my not very knowledgeable person :-(

Solution
As long as the power supply isn't changed, there's no reason you can't use the existing cables.

However, it's in your interest to solve this case and trace the cable back to the PSU, unless someday, you want to pay $100 for a repair that ought to take someone five minutes.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As long as the power supply isn't changed, there's no reason you can't use the existing cables.

However, it's in your interest to solve this case and trace the cable back to the PSU, unless someday, you want to pay $100 for a repair that ought to take someone five minutes.

Solution