[SOLVED] Using SENSE HAT and Pi Camera Project possibility of working for school project

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Guys
Can you please tell me if this idea is possible to do on a school project.
I am using a SENSE HAT and Pi Camera. What I want the code to do is say if the temperature is 35 degrees, it will take a picture every 30 seconds for 2 minutes. But I want the image taken every 30 seconds be compared to the prior image for changes and that should be alerted to the user (i.e. maybe text or colour or image on SENSE hat).

in simple word like my experiment is to see if changes in temperature can affect people movement so if the temperature is high like 35 degress the camera will activate, take pictures say every 30 seconds and it will compare it the previous image for changes in movement (people walking about).

Solution
If you have no programming experience, you've set quite a high bar for your first project.
Go in steps. Document what you're doing. Make image backups of the entire SD card after each major step.
  • Install Raspiban. Get familiar with development tools (Python tends to be most used on RPi);
  • Get support libs for Sense Hat. Make a simple app to show the temperature.
  • Get support for camera. Learn how to capture, store, and manage pictures
The last part will be the most difficult, and I'd recommend mastering it in desktop Linux environment. OpenCV is your tool of trade.
If you have no programming experience, you've set quite a high bar for your first project.
Go in steps. Document what you're doing. Make image backups of the entire SD card after each major step.
  • Install Raspiban. Get familiar with development tools (Python tends to be most used on RPi);
  • Get support libs for Sense Hat. Make a simple app to show the temperature.
  • Get support for camera. Learn how to capture, store, and manage pictures
The last part will be the most difficult, and I'd recommend mastering it in desktop Linux environment. OpenCV is your tool of trade.

Solution
I would add that you also need to learn how to compare the images taken. Photos aren't simple to compare. Even doing a pixel by pixel comparison can be difficult because the variances that occur in the sensor can cause two images taken within milliseconds to be different. At 30 second intervals you might be better off creating a timelapse that a human could review. At 30FPS a whole hour of images would be just a few seconds long.