Question Using Silicone to seal Liquid Metal

Jul 16, 2022
Good Morning.
I'm planning to make a big risky step into the cooling of my laptop. I have a very powerful laptop. Rtx 3080, I7 and 64gb of ram.
I have a bit of a problem when it goes to cooling my laptop, as it overheats easily because it is very thin and as I am stressing the CPU my laptop powers off.
Now i thought about a solution to have a safer installation of the liquid metal into the CPU.
I thought about have silicone sealing the CPU avoiding the LM spread into the Motherboard.
I looked for a thermal proof silicone.
I must add I am a TI Expert ad I work for a TI company, but I would like to have a second opinion as it is a very very expensive laptop.
The second solution could be undervolting my CPU but it isn't a simple solution as my CPU is not a 'K' CPU.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not do that.

At worst you could end up just trapping more heat inside the laptop and cause serious damage.

At best, there will be a physical mess to deal with and cleaning that mess up could be difficult.

And being an expensive laptop (make, model, OS, etc.) what you are considering to do will very likely void any warranty.

What temperatures are being measured?

Why and how is the laptop being stressed?

Figuring out why the laptop is getting hot should be the first objective.

Full laptop specs?

Jul 16, 2022
MSI Creator 15 A10UH-037ES Intel Core i7-10875H/64GB/2TB SSD/RTX 3080/15.6"

I thought about just sealing the CPU, so it shouldn't affect the heat dissipation

KyaraM

Admirable
As above, don't do that. You will likely brick the machine. Sealing anything at all might cause heat pockets to form. Don't.

Also, undervolting should still be possible with a non-k chip. The real question is, will your mainboard allow fiddling with voltages. Might need Windows programs for that depending on the BIOS.

Reactions: Leonida95
Jul 16, 2022
Do not do that.

At worst you could end up just trapping more heat inside the laptop and cause serious damage.

At best, there will be a physical mess to deal with and cleaning that mess up could be difficult.

And being an expensive laptop (make, model, OS, etc.) what you are considering to do will very likely void any warranty.

Full laptop specs?

The temps are always between 90-98 when stressing the CPU (which is normal for a laptop).
Idle temps sets around 50-60 degrees depending on Ambien temps (summer is tougher)

Jul 16, 2022
Do not do that.

Full laptop specs?
MSI Creator 15 A10UH-037ES Intel Core i7-10875H
90-98 is quite normal, your computer shouldn't turn off from that. Sounds like there is another issue there.
Also thought about undervolting the CPU, but with my CPU it is not an option as I understand (I could be wrong).
I tried reinstalling the OS, reinstalling drivers, bios, updates...

Jul 16, 2022
As above, don't do that. You will likely brick the machine. Sealing anything at all might cause heat pockets to form. Don't.

Also, undervolting should still be possible with a non-k chip. The real question is, will your mainboard allow fiddling with voltages. Might need Windows programs for that depending on the BIOS.

Intel XTU is not working, I have not looked for a Windows alternative.

I simply don't understand why Intel boosts that much laptop CPUs, I would prefer to have a cooler System.

I am more worried about heating constantly my machine than the machine turning off. Isn't it dangerous long-term?

KyaraM

Admirable
MSI Creator 15 A10UH-037ES Intel Core i7-10875H

Also thought about undervolting the CPU, but with my CPU it is not an option as I understand (I could be wrong).
I tried reinstalling the OS, reinstalling drivers, bios, updates...

Throttlestop and XTU apparently both work. Not a perfect solutikn, but better than nothing, right?

KyaraM

Admirable
Intel XTU is not working, I have not looked for a Windows alternative.

I simply don't understand why Intel boosts that much laptop CPUs, I would prefer to have a cooler System.

I am more worried about heating constantly my machine than the machine turning off. Isn't it dangerous long-term?
Depends on how long you plan to use the laptop and how often it reaches those temps. Modern CPUs have checks in place that stop them from getting damaged, by reducing clock rates or shutting down, for example. Generally, unless the machine runs that hot over long periods of time, it shouldn't noticeably reduce its lifespan and from experience, other things in the system should die first before the CPU does. I have to admit, though, that I'm personally not a fan of gaming laptops for this particular reason, especially not slim ones that exacerbate the issue even further.

Ralston18

Titan
I suggest holding on that.

Instead do some additional research.

Google for example, "intel core i7 undervolting" and filter the search to the last year or so.

There are a number of links on the topic (one was from withing this Forum).

Examples:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...-amp-Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility/m-p/1375918

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/k-vs-non-k-i7-undervolting-same-tdp.3759154/

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/370...g-on-their-laptops-heres-how-to-re-enable-it/

You really need to consider the options available such as they may be and plan out small incremental changes.

Is all important data on that laptop backed up - just in case.....?

Jul 16, 2022

Google for example, "intel core i7 undervolting" and filter the search to the last year or so.

There are a number of links on the topic (one was from withing this Forum).

Examples:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...-amp-Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility/m-p/1375918

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/k-vs-non-k-i7-undervolting-same-tdp.3759154/

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/370...g-on-their-laptops-heres-how-to-re-enable-it/

You really need to consider the options available such as they may be and plan out small incremental changes.

Is all important data on that laptop backed up - just in case.....?

I am a young IT worker, and I am not that experienced, but a thing that I learned very quick was that wats on the cloud is safer that wats on the hardware. So no, no sensible data involved, if something goes bad it's an easy reset! (Maybe my girlfriend kills me as I erase her ARK saves, but I can deal with it 😝). Touching the BIOS scares me a little more

Jul 16, 2022
Returning to the undervolting, seems that CPUs starting from gen 10 have undervolting blocked. XTU and Throttlestop are not working. The only thing that seems to work is throttlestop's "stop turbo" feature. But I'm pretty sure it will limit heavily my CPU's power. I think I will go on with stock features, maybe I will change my thermal paste with a good wan like an Arctic X5.

Jul 16, 2022
Depends on how long you plan to use the laptop and how often it reaches those temps. Modern CPUs have checks in place that stop them from getting damaged, by reducing clock rates or shutting down, for example. Generally, unless the machine runs that hot over long periods of time, it shouldn't noticeably reduce its lifespan and from experience, other things in the system should die first before the CPU does.

90-98 is quite normal, your computer shouldn't turn off from that. Sounds like there is another issue there. Also checked Tj max for that CPU, it's 100°C.
Also, as everyone said, it is too risky to apply LM as my temps doesnt seem to be as bad as I thought, so I prefer going on with stock

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aye, they started to lock it down with bios updates as a security patch to Plundervolt.
Some 10th gen laptops have older bioses that don't have the patch in them, and folks with those were able to roll back to an older bios and undervolt. Newer ones are going to be locked from the get-go.

The biggest weakness is how cramped the entire package is. It's not easy to get a good rush of air in and out of them without making certain compromises.
Thicker heatsinks, but that adds weight and cost.
Separating the cpu and gpu cooling, instead of making them share a heatsink, but probably costs a lot more than other convenient solutions, since it only seems to appear on the really pricey models. It might add a little more weight than shared.
Faster fans or more aggressive fan curves to brute force air through, but users can only deal with so much noise.

Having a means to elevate the back end of the laptop so as to enhance air intake would be one of your next best moves, if you haven't tried it already. It does not have to be a laptop cooling pad with a fan(s) in it; the elevation does most of the work.
You likely could DIY something up.

Arctic X5
I take it you meant, MX-5? Probably best to leave that one alone and roll back to MX-4. I recently found out that Arctic already discontinued MX-5 because they couldn't keep the quality consistent.