[SOLVED] Using single channel on dual channel laptop

Dec 31, 2022
I recently swapped out my single 4gb ram card for a stronger 16gb. Since my pc runs on both a DIM(4gb) and a SO-DIMM(16gb) and i was only able to afford a SO-DIMM I'm trying to stop my pc from using the weaker one (removing the DIM card won't work since for some reason, half of my ram is bound to my storage card) are there any solutions from a software standpoint? My pc is a VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X509DA which i know is kinda dumpster fire but it's my only pc

Solution
You are using flex channel. The first 4Gb of the 16Gb stick is in dual channel with the existing ram. 4+4. That gets used first. Anything that uses above that 4Gb uses the remaining balance of 12Gb in single channel, so you'd get (4+4)+12.

There's essentially little difference between dual and single channel unless you can soak up the bandwidth of the single channel. Ryzen happens to work better and faster with the flip-flop input of dual channel in the controller because of the way the infinity fabric works, there's no waiting period.

As slow (relatively) as that Vivo is, you'll not really see any loss of performance, you'll still be using dual channel for the OS as before, but anything over that 4Gb will be running single channel...
I recently swapped out my single 4gb ram card for a stronger 16gb. Since my pc runs on both a DIM(4gb) and a SO-DIMM(16gb) and i was only able to afford a SO-DIMM I'm trying to stop my pc from using the weaker one (removing the DIM card won't work since for some reason, half of my ram is bound to my storage card) are there any solutions from a software standpoint? My pc is a VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X509DA which i know is kinda dumpster fire but it's my only pc
With the new ram stick installed how much ram does the pc see?

What speed does the ram now run at?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are using flex channel. The first 4Gb of the 16Gb stick is in dual channel with the existing ram. 4+4. That gets used first. Anything that uses above that 4Gb uses the remaining balance of 12Gb in single channel, so you'd get (4+4)+12.

There's essentially little difference between dual and single channel unless you can soak up the bandwidth of the single channel. Ryzen happens to work better and faster with the flip-flop input of dual channel in the controller because of the way the infinity fabric works, there's no waiting period.

As slow (relatively) as that Vivo is, you'll not really see any loss of performance, you'll still be using dual channel for the OS as before, but anything over that 4Gb will be running single channel vs page file, which is a considerable gain.

Last edited:
Solution