Using snapshot software on SSDs + partitioning SSD for the first time

bad_machine

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hi guys

I'm currently using Comodo Time Machine for software testing (as it allows reverting to a clean state upon rebooting), but it is also very problematic for many users. I'm one of the lucky ones and CTM has been 100% stable on my system.

I'm building a new system in which my brand new SSD will reside as the boot drive. I won't be able to use CTM anymore as it doesn't support TRIM, so I was hoping of using Rollback RX which supports it. I test a lot of software for clients so I will definitely be reverting to a clean state many times daily.

Rollback RX stores the snapshots on the drive's free space. The RX driver intercepts and re-directs writes addressed to blocks used by the snapshots. What worries me is that the NAND blocks on which the snapshots will be stored will obviously get used much less than the free ones and this could result in uneven NAND wear. Has anyone had any experience using Rollback RX (or any similar snapshot software) with an SSD? Are there any issues I should be aware of?

Also I would appreciate some clarification regarding partitioning on my new SSD. I don't want to allow Win7 install to partition the drive because it will create the irritating hidden bitlocker partition as well. If I use a third party partition manager (like Acronis Disk Director 11), what cluster size would be optimal?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS