Question Using SSD and external hard drive question?

Apr 7, 2020
I wanted to add an ssd to my laptop but it only has room for a 2.5 inch ssd and is 1TB 2.5 inch hdd. I can't afford a 1TB SSD though I do max out my storage all the time as I do lots of recording and video editing etc. I have USB type C on my laptop so I was thinking of getting a 500gb ssd for my laptop to boot from and install a few programs/games and then use a 2tb or 3tb external drive. Would USB type C be fast for recording files too? I might get a 240gb ssd instead and then just have an external drive all the time. Of course I would prefer a 1tb ssd but they are too expensive and I need more storage. Otherwise I was tempted to just stick with slow speeds and get a 2tb 2.5 inch hdd. But my laptop is so slow sometimes. I have a dual core i3 7th gen, 940mx gpu and upgraded my ram to 8gb ddr4 (2x4gb). Not sure if it is worth upgrading to an ssd since it's hard to open up my laptop but I really want it to be fast as I have an ssd in my PC for boot up times and loading screens. I do some light gaming and video editing on my laptop from time to time since my PC is usually busy while gaming. Any thoughts?

I wanted to add an ssd to my laptop but it only has room for a 2.5 inch ssd and is 1TB 2.5 inch hdd. I can't afford a 1TB SSD though I do max out my storage all the time as I do lots of recording and video editing etc. I have USB type C on my laptop so I was thinking of getting a 500gb ssd for my laptop to boot from and install a few programs/games and then use a 2tb or 3tb external drive. Would USB type C be fast for recording files too? I might get a 240gb ssd instead and then just have an external drive all the time. Of course I would prefer a 1tb ssd but they are too expensive and I need more storage. Otherwise I was tempted to just stick with slow speeds and get a 2tb 2.5 inch hdd. But my laptop is so slow sometimes. I have a dual core i3 7th gen, 940mx gpu and upgraded my ram to 8gb ddr4 (2x4gb). Not sure if it is worth upgrading to an ssd since it's hard to open up my laptop but I really want it to be fast as I have an ssd in my PC for boot up times and loading screens. I do some light gaming and video editing on my laptop from time to time since my PC is usually busy while gaming. Any thoughts?

I use a TB3 port for games when I bootcamp my Mac so don’t see the issue with installing programs, however I would not boot from it, it can easily be
yanked out and brick the PC or drive.