Using SSD as boot drive with all my files already on HDD

Herp_Derpson

Reputable
May 6, 2014
I recently received a 64GB SSD as a gift, and I was thinking of using it as a boot drive. The only issue here is that I have already had the computer I plan to use it in for about a year and a half. The 2TB HDD in it is full of my stuff, and I am confused on how to make the SSD my boot drive without messing up how all my programs I already have installed. I know I have to do a clean install of windows in order to make the SSD the boot drive, but I am highly concerned about my computer still being able to function. In short, how would I go about making the computer boot from the SSD and still be able to use all of the programs and files on my HDD?

Solution
There is only 1 piece of software that will move the existing windows install to the SSD and leave everything intact and working on the harddrive. Its paragon's migrate os to ssd. Its not free.

AS always, at least make a backup of important files before messing with your drives. Its better to make a full backup but some people don't like the added hassle.

VanillaSprinkles

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
What you would have to do is reinstall windows just on the SSD when you do that first boot, then you will have to reinstall all of your apps to your HDD. If you have any games on the HDD steam and origin will just recognize that the games are already downloaded.

popatim

Titan
There is only 1 piece of software that will move the existing windows install to the SSD and leave everything intact and working on the harddrive. Its paragon's migrate os to ssd. Its not free.

AS always, at least make a backup of important files before messing with your drives. Its better to make a full backup but some people don't like the added hassle.

Solution

VanillaSprinkles

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I would just like to say that this is true, but I did not have a good time with this software. I found it easier to just do a fresh install.

Herp_Derpson

Reputable
May 6, 2014

I'll probably just end buying the software because I'm lazy, but I want to be sure that it will do what I want. Just to be clear, will it move my OS to the SSD while still keeping all of my programs intact and ready to use?

VanillaSprinkles

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I think so, but don't completely believe my answer lol

popatim

Titan

Things don't always go smoothly even with full installs (which I agree is the recommended way to go) and why even I still make a full backup before making changes to someones system.