Using SSD drives in external dock?

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I was thinking of getting an SSD and using it with an external dock for editing video. When not in use, the SSD will be stored in a secure plastic HD case.

Is this a bad idea for any reason? Are SSD drives any more fragile or prone to damage by connecting them and unconnecting them in a dock and leaving them exposed in the dock to dust for hours and hours? Are SSD drives susceptible electric static charges in the same way that hard drives are?

Thanks.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
To answer your question, there's nothing unsafe or bad about docking an SSD externally. I've been doing the same for a few years now and have never had any problems. As Faalin says, it's preferred to keep it internally for better speeds if your system allows for it, but is using it externally wrong or a bad idea in any way? Not at all :)

oczdude8

Distinguished
If anything, they are more durable then HDD's for portable applications since they are solid state. They only way to damage them is by either spilling water on them, or by physically damaging them by accidently cutting it in half with a chainsaw.

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I am using the SSD/external dock with an iMac, so unfortunately, I can not add it internally.

Will I see much performance increase by using a 1TB Samsung SSD vs. a 7200 RPM 4 or 6TB HD? Reason why I specified the size of the hard drive is those are the sizes I currently use, and I am not sure if the read/write time slows down as the sizes increase since they have to spin, etc.

Can USB 3 even support the max increased speeds of an external SSD vs. those from a HD?

Thanks