[SOLVED] Using SSD from old build in new build.

Nov 8, 2020
I currently have an SSD in my current build which has windows on there with some software. I’m in the middle of buying parts in for a new build. I’ve been told to just install fresh windows on a bigger SSD 500GB or so to leave wiggle room for apps that can’t be installed elsewhere. That’s fine I don’t mind that. But since my current SSD has windows on there how do I remove it so when I plug it into the new PC it won't conflict? Does that make sense? Feel like I’m butchering trying to explain this.

Solution
When you go to install Windows on the new build...make sure you only have the one drive connected....the new drive.

After you have Windows installed and everything is running good....power down...and add the old SSD.

When you power up....it should boot to the new SSD....not the old...and then you can partition and format the old drive.

....and as a check...when I powered up... with both drives....I would go to the BIOS and make SURE the new SSD is at the top of the boot order.
When you go to install Windows on the new build...make sure you only have the one drive connected....the new drive.

After you have Windows installed and everything is running good....power down...and add the old SSD.

When you power up....it should boot to the new SSD....not the old...and then you can partition and format the old drive.

....and as a check...when I powered up... with both drives....I would go to the BIOS and make SURE the new SSD is at the top of the boot order.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Nov 8, 2020
Oh ok, This makes total sense. Although when you say partition and format the old drive would you be able to maybe explain exactly what I'd be doing there? is it possible to just delete windows or is removing everything the best option?

USAFRet

Titan
Oh ok, This makes total sense. Although when you say partition and format the old drive would you be able to maybe explain exactly what I'd be doing there? is it possible to just delete windows or is removing everything the best option?

TRENDING THREADS