Using storage HDD in new build

hieraaetus

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
Hello, I built a computer about 2 years ago now and want to do quite a few upgrades, including motherboard, processor, ram, etc...so minus the GPU and PSU it will essentially be all new parts. I also want to reuse my hard drives, I have an Intel SSD running the OS and Seagate HDD as my storage drive.

The computer was originally windows 8 and then I upgraded (through promotion) to windows 10. Since I will have new components I realize I must format the OS drive, and will install a straight windows 10 OS to it. My question is can I take the storage HDD and reuse it without wiping it? Essentially I would just be transferring it with the expectation that all the files will still be there and functional.

I found another thread on this subject which said it is doable, but since it is a couple years old I am checking that it is still doable. Also more importantly how would I go about doing this correctly as I'm not sure and the thread doesn't really describe the process.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2202239/transfer-storage-hdd-computer-storage-hdd-formating.html
the link is the thread that I saw as a reference.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
No, there's no need to format the drive. Doing so would delete all the data on the disk.

Just connect the drive to the new PC after you've determined that the system boots & functions without any problems. The system will treat the new disk as a secondary drive.

Be aware that sometimes (for obscure reasons that no one to my knowledge has ever clearly explained why this happens) Disk Management will not reflect a drive letter for the secondary disk and therefore the system doesn't allow one to access its contents. It's a simple matter to use DM to assign a drive letter when that situation arises.
So all you're concerned with is whether you can use the HDD that had been installed in the previous system and install it in the new system as a secondary drive for storage. Isn't that the sum of what you're asking?

If that's the problem - there is no problem. Of course you can. What puzzles me is why you thought there might be a problem. So maybe I'm missing something here.

I'm assuming of course that you're going to install the Win 10 OS on another HDD (or SSD). You are planning that, aren't you?

hieraaetus

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

hieraaetus

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
Yes essentially that's what I'm asking, my concern is that currently the storage drive has all my files and such on it, so if I move it to the new system, will it retain all those files, or will I have to format it also?

No, there's no need to format the drive. Doing so would delete all the data on the disk.

Just connect the drive to the new PC after you've determined that the system boots & functions without any problems. The system will treat the new disk as a secondary drive.

Be aware that sometimes (for obscure reasons that no one to my knowledge has ever clearly explained why this happens) Disk Management will not reflect a drive letter for the secondary disk and therefore the system doesn't allow one to access its contents. It's a simple matter to use DM to assign a drive letter when that situation arises.

Solution