[SOLVED] Using store bought Hydrogen Peroxide to clean off thermal paste ok?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Question in thread title.
I've already used it once on the cpu IHS and twice on gpu core, but I'm wondering if there are any long term effects from doing so.

I use Noctua's NT-H2 if that matters.

Thanks to the pandemic, I can't get a hold of any alcohol in my area.

Google search gave me mixed answers.

Solution
I would NOT. It's an oxidizer, obviously, and can possibly leave deposits or "rust" (oxidation) on the metals it comes in contact with. There are a multitude of products sold on the market specifically for cleaning a CPU (etc.) that there should be no shortage of.

If it came down to it I would probably use vinegar and then some distilled water before H2O2.

RealBeast

Titan
Question in thread title.
I've already used it once on the cpu IHS and twice on gpu core, but I'm wondering if there are any long term effects from doing so.

I use Noctua's NT-H2 if that matters.

Thanks to the pandemic, I can't get a hold of any alcohol in my area.

Google search gave me mixed answers.
I would use alcohol or acetone instead. Are your liquor stores closed? They are considered essential businesses in my area. lol

One use is probably not an issue though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would use alcohol or acetone instead. Are your liquor stores closed? They are considered essential businesses in my area. lol

One use is probably not an issue though.
The typical disinfectant alcohol is OOS. The liquor stuff... well, it costs a bit more; I live in a small town in the countryside. No liquor only store.
Does it matter if it's rum, gin, or whiskey?

RealBeast

Titan
The typical disinfectant alcohol is OOS. The liquor stuff... well, it costs a bit more; I live in a small town in the countryside. No liquor only store.
Use a clear liquor (vodka), highest proof available so there is less water in it -- then the rest is available for other purposes. ;) Hopefully, not as a hand cleaner.

Seriously, a little peroxide for a short time will not cause harm.

It does if you want to get drunk. Such alcohol has a lot of water and other stuff like sugar and will leave a film which is not good for heat transfer. Only high percentage clean alcohol is good. Paint stores should sell concentrated metil alcohol as paint solvent. If you have some printing shop nearby, they use a lot of isopropyl alcohol, probably would spare few grams for you.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not good solvent or degreaser, it's more of an antiseptic, bleach and part of rocket fuel.
Such alcohol has a lot of water and other stuff like sugar and will leave a film which is not good for heat transfer. Only high percentage clean alcohol is good.
So you're saying the worst it'll do is just whiten the AIO's copper plate?
The 2nd part makes sense... so vodka would still be a no-go?

No printing shop in town, but I'll check the grocery+hardware store and see if it carries some metil alcohol.

@RealBeast
I shouldn't drink, due to the depression medication I take :(

I do remember a funny smell coming from the AIO's base plate though. No such reaction came from the cpu IHS, the cpu cooler plate, or the gpu die.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would NOT. It's an oxidizer, obviously, and can possibly leave deposits or "rust" (oxidation) on the metals it comes in contact with. There are a multitude of products sold on the market specifically for cleaning a CPU (etc.) that there should be no shortage of.

If it came down to it I would probably use vinegar and then some distilled water before H2O2.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
So you're saying the worst it'll do is just whiten the AIO's copper plate?
The 2nd part makes sense... so vodka would still be a no-go?

No printing shop in town, but I'll check the grocery+hardware store and see if it carries some metil alcohol.

@RealBeast
I shouldn't drink, due to the depression medication I take :(

I do remember a funny smell coming from the AIO's base plate though. No such reaction came from the cpu IHS, the cpu cooler plate, or the gpu die.
Yes, the reason that it is usually not used is that it is a strong oxidizer and prolonged contact can degrade materials. I use it occasionally as a tooth whitener and it works well but do not swallow it, as it is toxic in moderate quantities.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@RealBeast @CountMike
Checked the store in town - no dice. No methyl alcohol, nor 90 proof vodka; 80 was the highest it had.

Do you have any Windshield washer fluid? That will do just fine, it contains a tiny amount of soap, but if you have a microfiber cloth, that tiny deposit is easily removed with a little rubbing i.e. elbow grease. xD
Actually, I do have like half a jug of that sitting in my car - RainX, I think it's called?
Guess I'll have to make do with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxVoxDK
@RealBeast @CountMike
Checked the store in town - no dice. No methyl alcohol, nor 90 proof vodka; 80 was the highest it had.

Actually, I do have like half a jug of that sitting in my car - RainX, I think it's called?
Guess I'll have to make do with that.
Don't do it. Get some kind of pure alcohol or nail polish remover, that should be available anywhere. Paste is silicone based, not grease !