Question Using the boot drive for raid 1?

dolev_levy

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Hello everyone.
I recently built a NAS server, with 2x4TB nas drives in it.
my question is: can i use one of the drives as boot and then raid 1 them for redundancy and still have 4TB left? or i have to use another seperate drive for it to work properly without any issues?

You have to set the 2 drives to raid 1 then install the OS, this will give you a single C drive with OS and storage on it. If you want the OS on a single drive then Raid 1 the storage you will need a 3rd drive.

What hardware and software are you running for the NAS server.

dolev_levy

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
You have to set the 2 drives to raid 1 then install the OS, this will give you a single C drive with OS and storage on it. If you want the OS on a single drive then Raid 1 the storage you will need a 3rd drive.

What hardware and software are you running for the NAS server.

i think i will go with the first opition, though i have no idea how to do it without any software or anything, do you have any guide or some free time to help me out with this, please?
about the hardware, it's pretty simple hardware. it's not anything special or server grade becuase it's a light use
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2300G
RAM: 1X8 GB HyperX kit (3200mhz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
PSU: Corsair CX550M (550W)

dolev_levy

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

dolev_levy

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
The largest a boot drive can be is 2TB, completly forgot about that. It might be better if you pick up a few samsung evo 860 250GB drives for boot in raid 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07864WMK8/?tag=pcpapi-20 and then use the 2x4TB for storage
Omg... right! i forgot about that too haha
dummy me, i was trying to troubleshoot it up until now lol
i think i'll get one m.2 ssd, a small one just for fast resposive tasks