Using the space bar to turn on my computer

AgentFletcher

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Some older DOS machines at my school can be turned on using the space bar. I didnt think it could be done with XP, but on the Screen Savers Leo said he uses it to turn on his machine. He didnt say how to do it, if anyone knows how to do this could you please let me know. Thanks.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
In the bios you can set the power up option to mouse, key, the regular power button.... well at least for some motherboards you can set it, for others you can't.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Not all computers use the space key for that. For mine its alt-backspace (AFAIR)

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AndrewT has the right answer, it's in your BIOS menu on many boards, where you can select the keys you want to use for it. Spacebar, alt-bakspace, right mouse pointer, etc are all valid options.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
In some cases you'll also need to make a jumper change on the mainboard too. I have got a couple of EPOX boards where there has to be a jumper change on them (k6-2 boards). Check the manual to make sure of course

GK

I'd go inside my computer but it's SCSI in there