Using ThrottleStop to undervolt CPU. Changing Voltage ID has no effect on VID

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanspotatobusiness

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I'm trying to reduce the voltage of my CPU to curb the heating but I don't think it's working. I use the left arrow to reduce the voltage from 1.15 to 1.10 and the VID reading in the top right does not change from 1.15. Clicking 'Save' does not change anything and neither does toggling 'Turn On/Turn Off'. Does anyone know how to trigger the change?

GLYFnPG.png

Solution
On Core 2 Duo based processors, the FID multiplier and VID voltage are in the same CPU register and are applied together at the same time. You need to check the Set Multiplier option in ThrottleStop. Before you to that, make sure the VID voltage is set appropriately.

Ralston18

Titan
Far out of my "comfort zone" here but I am wondering if your CPU truly supports doing that.

Hopefully you would receive some error message should that be the case but people would try anyway. So the software simply does nothing - check the Throttlestop documentation.

I found this link:

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

There are other similar links - one link was a video even.

What about the other side of things: is cooling what it shoud be? Fans, rpms, etc..

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
On Core 2 Duo based processors, the FID multiplier and VID voltage are in the same CPU register and are applied together at the same time. You need to check the Set Multiplier option in ThrottleStop. Before you to that, make sure the VID voltage is set appropriately.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.