Using two different displays on one graphics card?

Lucas Brown

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hi, I am not exactly the most informed or experienced PC gamer, but I have a grasp of the basics of computer hardware. Anyways, I have a (possibly) extremely dumb question to ask. Two years ago I purchased a Dell Inspiron (I won't go into much detail as I don't think it is needed, but if needed I can certainly provide the specifics.) It was a very middle-of-the-line desktop tower. I bought it with an intel i5 with HD integrated graphics with the intention of upgrading it further down the line.

A year ago, I purchased an AMD graphics card. It worked great, I'm happy with my purchase, etc. etc. So now I am in a situation where I have the opportunity to hook up my Tower to a 36 inch HD plasma tv. I would love to take advantage of Steam big picture, hook up my controller and play some games. However, at the same time I will still be using the computer for work, browsing the internet, checking email, etc. For that I would much prefer to sit at my desk and use my older 720p dell monitor from 2003. The TV and monitor are in the same room so that it would be possible to run cables to both from the same machine. The only problem is, I only have one AMD graphics card which has only one HDMI port on the back. The thing is, my computer does have a built in HDMI, VGA, and DVI for when I used the integrated graphics in my processor. As of right now though, I am still using my old monitor which only has DVI and VGA ports to play games and do my work; so I am using an HDMI to VGA converter to hook my graphics card to my monitor.

My question is, would it be possible to hook my graphics card to my TV, and then hook my built in VGA connector to my monitor, and use integrated graphics on my monitor and my graphics card on my TV? Is there any situation in which that would work?

Assuming that my idea is idiotic (most likely) and is completely impossible, do you have any alternative ideas so I can both play games and do work without changing my HDMI cord between both displays constantly? One of my ideas was to run my graphics card to an HDMI splitter/switcher, then run one of the split ends to my TV, and put a HDMI to VGA converter on the other split and connect it to my monitor.. which I suppose seems more plausible.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Lucas Brown

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I have an AMD Radeon HD 7750... not exactly top of the line but as PC is not my main gaming platform I wasn't looking to spend too much.

King Hackintosh

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2013
You could configure your tv as a second monitor and use it as a dual monitor setup, or you could use them one at a time by not choosing HDMI on the tv's input menu.

Lucas Brown

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
How would I go about configuring my TV as a second monitor? Wouldn't I just be able to hook my TV to the graphics card via HDMI, and hook my monitor to my graphics card via DVI, or is it more complex than that?

King Hackintosh

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2013
Not really much more complex than that. After connecting everything just go into display preferences and enable something along the lines of "dual monitor mode." You can then choose if you want to have the displays mirror each other or just use both monitors at the same time...