Question Using two graphics cards NOT in SLI

Jan 24, 2019
I have a RTX 2080 running four monitors for a flight simulator (three for cockpit display, one for an instructor station, all on one instance of X-Plane 11). I also have an old GTX 650 that I would like to display a G1000 avionics setup on two more monitors (which is a separate application from X-Plane).

My motherboard (ASRock Z370) is SLI capable, but I know this won't work in SLI since they're not the same model of GPU. But when I install the 650 along side the 2080, it won't even POST. I uninstalled the 650 then went through all of the UEFI settings, and couldn't find anything about multiple graphics cards.

How can I set this up, if its even possible?

Windows can handle multiple drivers and graphics cards.
Being an older gen card, possibly the GTX650 has some problem with UEFI on your motherboard.
As a test, see if you can boot without the RTX2080 installed.

Since you have integrated graphics, can you use that for attaching two additional monitors.

Jan 24, 2019
Windows can handle multiple drivers and graphics cards.
Being an older gen card, possibly the GTX650 has some problem with UEFI on your motherboard.
As a test, see if you can boot without the RTX2080 installed.

Since you have integrated graphics, can you use that for attaching two additional monitors.

Thanks, I'll try using the GTX650 only next. I've thought about using the integrated graphics, but I fear the performance hit will make it not worth it. I have the 9700K at 5.0 GHz. It was nearly stable at 5.1, but when I wen't back down to 5.0, I went from about 50 fps (at medium high 1080 graphics settings) to about 35 fps, which is about as low as I want to go. Then again, I believe X-Plane is still only single threaded, so maybe it would be just fine.

I am surprised at such a large drop from 5.1 to 5.0.
Have you experimented with asymmetrical clock rates for your overclock?
Perhaps 5.1 on two cores and 4.5 on the rest?
I do not know if windows could take advantage of that.

If integrated or the gtx650 does not work out, then perhaps a GT1030 or similar will do the job.

Jan 24, 2019
I've read about asymmetrical clock rates and saw the options for it, but never tried it. I'll look more into it. This is my second build but the first that I've been able to OC, so still learning.

Jan 24, 2019
Okay, so I'm guessing the GTX650 is incompatible with the motherboard. I tried with only the 650 installed, still wouldn't POST. I couldn't find anything online about incompatible cards with this board (which is the ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac model). I verified the UEFI is up to date. I then reinstalled the GTX2080 and took out the 650, still wouldn't POST. Clearing CMOS and loading my saved settings worked.

What was also really odd was that I then enabled the IGPU setting to forced the integrated graphics even with an independent graphics card, and then it wouldn't POST again. Tried several different monitor configurations with different cables and output types. Nothing worked. Cleared CMOS again. So now I'm back to where I started.