[SOLVED] using two more CNAME RR

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Hello.
Please, I am trying to understand the following CNAME RR settings issue.
Let's say that on a registrar I have root domain e.g. test.com
On the CNAME RRs, I understand when I build CNAME record:

CNAME host: www.test.com points to: test.com

This is for, when someone types on browser's address bar www.test.com , it is forwarded to test.com . I have no problem on understanding with this.
The one that I do not understand is the following:
For a mail server build, for domain test.com , I see that some domain admins also add CNAME records like:
CNAME host: mail.test.com points to: test.com
CNAME host: www.mail.test.com points to: test.com

How they work? Why are they entered?
Can you please help me with these enters?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Thank you for your answer. Making a Google search like you propose, is something I already had made before opening this thread. Too many pages, blogs, YouTube videos already visited and read, but is a kind of difficult to understand this special detail on CNAME record of DNS system. In DNS, I thought that on mail staff, MX in conjunction with A records, had to do the whole job. And no CNAME records come into play for mailings.
This is the reason why I asked help from individuals to give me some answers on the subject, and open the thread.
I will, though, read on your links, and hope find answers to my questions there. Maybe these are pages much better than the ones I had visited, that will give me the answers.
Thanks again.

This forum mostly has consumer user stuff on it so you would have to get lucky for someone to see it.

Even then DNS in large commercial organization is handled by the guys who do servers more than the network guys since it is very tightly integrated with other microsoft server functions. It is hard to say if your question would go in server or network catagory even on site that has more commercial questions.

This is one of those things I used to know really well when I was taking certification test but since I retired I seem to have forgotten a lot.