[SOLVED] USING TWO PSU IN ONE UNIT

Dec 13, 2020
I have bought here a cv450 corsair power supply and a gtx 1050ti for upgrade of my lenovo thinkcentre m700 unit with h110m motherboard, upon the installing of the new psu, I have lately noticed that the main power of my motherboard uses 10pin power connector, thats why the 24pin of the cv450 couldn't fit. Overall, I did not manage to finish up my upgrade because of that, I have no budget of buying another board and also I couldn't find any power supply that supports that 10pin main power connector here in my region, Philippines. I am thinking of a solution of using a cable adapter/converter but I am worrying of its risk to my unit, and I also think if I could use both power supply to draw the power but how would I do and would it be safe?

Solution
Lenovo, Sony, Dell, HP, Compaq and any and all 3rd Party OEM have all used proprietary motherboards at one point or another, this includes use of mains power connections. It's not uncommon to see a 10pin or 14pin in a Lenovo or a 14+4 or 14+6 in a Dell.

Aftermarket is standardized to maximize sales. It's that simple. Aftermarket mobo's use 20+4pin mains because aftermarket psus use 20+4pin mains and vice-versa. It maximizes sales options against the competition. 3rd party OEMs do not subscribe to that, they don't have to as you buy a Lenovo psu with the Lenovo motherboard when you buy a Lenovo pc. So they use whatever they wish to use, upgrading is primarily a concern through them, not aftermarket.

Amazon and others sell a 20+4 (or...
I don’t like adapters but that is a much safer option that trying to run 2 PSU’s in a single system.

It is technically possible but you need to know exactly what you are doing and as you have found out the original psu is proprietary and not standard. The risk of doing a lot of damage or even causing a fire is too great.

Dec 13, 2020
I don’t like adapters but that is a much safer option that trying to run 2 PSU’s in a single system.

It is technically possible but you need to know exactly what you are doing and as you have found out the original psu is proprietary and not standard. The risk of doing a lot of damage or even causing a fire is too great.
I am planning to connect all the cables including the cpu powe cable to my new psu, except the 10pin that couldnt fit the cv450 would it be safe?

Dec 13, 2020
It would only take a slight mistake to destroy everything. The 2 PSU’s would need to share a common ground and you would need to find a way to turn both on simultaneously. I would strongly advise against this approach.
I agree to you especially I don't have experience in computer electronics, very thanks to you, anyways Im just hoping that I could use my brand new psu and gpu, but I think Im gonna need to save for a new motherboard

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I agree to you especially I don't have experience in computer electronics, very thanks to you, anyways Im just hoping that I could use my brand new psu and gpu, but I think Im gonna need to save for a new motherboard
https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-10-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

EDIT I hope you bought a 1050ti that requires a 6 pin power connector because I'm not sure those motherboards will put out the full 75 watts for the video card on the PCI-E lane.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lenovo, Sony, Dell, HP, Compaq and any and all 3rd Party OEM have all used proprietary motherboards at one point or another, this includes use of mains power connections. It's not uncommon to see a 10pin or 14pin in a Lenovo or a 14+4 or 14+6 in a Dell.

Aftermarket is standardized to maximize sales. It's that simple. Aftermarket mobo's use 20+4pin mains because aftermarket psus use 20+4pin mains and vice-versa. It maximizes sales options against the competition. 3rd party OEMs do not subscribe to that, they don't have to as you buy a Lenovo psu with the Lenovo motherboard when you buy a Lenovo pc. So they use whatever they wish to use, upgrading is primarily a concern through them, not aftermarket.

Amazon and others sell a 20+4 (or 20pin) to 10 pin adapter, allowing for you to use an aftermarket psu mains to adapt to the Lenovo motherboard.

If size/fitment inside the chassis doesn't allow for a standard ATX Power Supply, you have options such as SFX, TFX etc that will fit. They just do not fit the exact same way as the stock psu. There's very few cases that can't fit a Corsair SF600 or similar SFX psu.

Solution
Dec 13, 2020

Amazon and others sell a 20+4 (or 20pin) to 10 pin adapter, allowing for you to use an aftermarket psu mains to adapt to the Lenovo motherboard.

If size/fitment inside the chassis doesn't allow for a standard ATX Power Supply, you have options such as SFX, TFX etc that will fit. They just do not fit the exact same way as the stock psu. There's very few cases that can't fit a Corsair SF600 or similar SFX psu.
Thaank you for that very informative answer, but yes the case did fit in my chassis the only problem is the 10pin, I am worrying about the risks about the adapter that might damage my unit.

If you have ever know one who tried the same case as mine using an adapter can you please let me know.

Dec 13, 2020
It's either the adapter or a new motherboard. That one above looks pretty good quality.
Should I worry about other compatibility issues if I would change the motherboard such as its ram and storage device.
My ram is and 2133mhz samsung 8gb DIMM0
Im sick of this lenovo's proprietary whatsoever

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Should I worry about other compatibility issues if I would change the motherboard such as its ram and storage device.
See no problem there.

Im sick of this lenovo's proprietary whatsoever
Seems a good reason to upgrade. There are likely decent used motherboards for sale or maybe even upgrade the system to a newer motherboard/cpu/ram combo if the case permits.
Make sure you windows is linked to a Microsoft account so that activation doesn't give a problem.

Reactions: jpwho