Using Two Wireless Routers To Cover Dead Zones

Mar 29, 2018
Greetings, I have an Edge Router Lite 3 set-up as my router and an Ubiquiti AP handling the wifi. This set-up works, but even though I have the Ubiquiti AP placed directly center of my home, I have one corner that is constantly a "dead zone" I was thinking would it be possible to run an Cat6 cable from my POE Switch to set-up a second router (Sagemcom Fast5260) and essentially use this as "wifi" for the "dead-zone"?

The caveat or potential "hiccup" that I see is I have a DLNA server set-up on the "primary" wifi that I would like to be able to access if a device crosses over to the secondary network. I.E. DLNA server running on Wifi1, but if a user connects to Wifi2 - I would still like to be able to access the DLNA server.

Solution

You should be able to disable DHCP by going to Router Settings, then the DHCP tab.

Then connect a network cable from the switch to a LAN port (not the WAN port).on the Sagemcom.

Should look similar to this:
DHCP.jpg

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

As long as the Sagemcom is properly configured to act as an AP only (routing disabled/unused), then your DLNA server will be seen as being on the same subnet as any device connected via the Sagemcom.

This forum sticky provides a guide on how to configure any router as an AP.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Mar 29, 2018

I am not seeing an option in the web gui for the Sagecom to configure it as an AP nor do I see the ability to disable DHCP. Are there other options for me to achieve such?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You should be able to disable DHCP by going to Router Settings, then the DHCP tab.

Then connect a network cable from the switch to a LAN port (not the WAN port).on the Sagemcom.

Should look similar to this:
DHCP.jpg

Solution