Using Voice Chat

Being new to Counterstrike Source, I have to ask how to setup to
use a mike and use voice chat with a team during play. Is it
automatically supported? Do I just plug in my mike to a soundcard?
Or do I have to download and install some voice controlling software?

I'd like to be able to chat (as I see others do in many of the games I
join). Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance....

Philski

"Philski" <philski@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Being new to Counterstrike Source, I have to ask how to setup to
> use a mike and use voice chat with a team during play. Is it automatically
> supported? Do I just plug in my mike to a soundcard?
> Or do I have to download and install some voice controlling software?
>
> I'd like to be able to chat (as I see others do in many of the games I
> join). Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance....
>
> Philski

Its inbuilt... just plug in your mic and press 'K' whilst in game for
chat..... however, teamchat may require another program like TeamSpeak as
pressing K allows all in the CSS server to hear you.... plus the quality is
pants....

"Philski" <philski@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Being new to Counterstrike Source, I have to ask how to setup to
> use a mike and use voice chat with a team during play. Is it automatically
> supported? Do I just plug in my mike to a soundcard?
> Or do I have to download and install some voice controlling software?
>
> I'd like to be able to chat (as I see others do in many of the games I join).
> Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance....

It is automatically supported and enabled (though it has to be enabled on the
server too, some are and some aren't)

Plug your mic into your soundcard, run Counterstrike Source and click on
options. You need to set a key to talk in keyboard setup (by default it is 'k')
then click on the voice tab in options where you can set the volume and stuff
and test your mic.

Then while playing press and hold 'k' or whatever key you set it up to and talk.

"Alien" <rumppole@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Philski" <philski@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> Being new to Counterstrike Source, I have to ask how to setup to
>> use a mike and use voice chat with a team during play. Is it
>> automatically supported? Do I just plug in my mike to a soundcard?
>> Or do I have to download and install some voice controlling software?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to chat (as I see others do in many of the games I
>> join). Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance....
>>
>> Philski
>
> Its inbuilt... just plug in your mic and press 'K' whilst in game for
> chat..... however, teamchat may require another program like TeamSpeak as
> pressing K allows all in the CSS server to hear you.... plus the quality
> is pants....

Actually, the teamchat option is server-side. Some servers allow _all_ to
hear you, others allow only your teammates to hear. You can ask when you
join, or you can usually tell by the color of the talkers if 'teamchat' or
'allchat' is on. The sound quality is also set server-side, and there are
five different settings the admin may choose from, depending on how much
bandwidth they want to give up to the microphones. These are a couple links
from the forums at steampowered.com:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2F05100B

and this one:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U2115200B

DustJunky wrote:
> "Philski" <philski@cableone.net> wrote in message
>
>>Being new to Counterstrike Source, I have to ask how to setup to
>>use a mike and use voice chat with a team during play. Is it automatically
>>supported? Do I just plug in my mike to a soundcard?
>>Or do I have to download and install some voice controlling software?
>>
>>I'd like to be able to chat (as I see others do in many of the games I join).
>>Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance....
>>

> It is automatically supported and enabled (though it has to be enabled on the
> server too, some are and some aren't)
>
> Plug your mic into your soundcard, run Counterstrike Source and click on
> options. You need to set a key to talk in keyboard setup (by default it is 'k')
> then click on the voice tab in options where you can set the volume and stuff
> and test your mic.
>
> Then while playing press and hold 'k' or whatever key you set it up to and talk.

Thanks!
I tried it out but didn't realize I needed to set a key...the voice test
works fine. Again, thank you....

Philski