Using VPN with shared macbook connection

Aug 15, 2018
Hey guys, thanks so much for reading.

I have a question - right now my macbook pro is receiving wifi from my home, and I am sharing the internet connection to an older laptop via ethernet cable.

UPDATE: I am using a Hong Kong ibVPN server as my selected server for the purpose of anonymous browsing.

However, I want my older laptop to use a VPN. Will I need to have my macbook on a VPN as well? Or could the traffic still be anonymous, even though it is being routed through my macbook.

My follow up question: will putting my laptop on a VPN essentially create a double-VPN setup?

My reasoning is that I want to stay anonymous from my internet provider.

Thanks for your replies!

dr.lafo

Great
Aug 16, 2018
First, you need to know what is VPN and how it's works?

VPNs, which stands for Virtual Private Networks, were originally designed for large organizations where employees needed to connect to a certain computer from different locations.

A VPN essentially creates a virtual network/cable between your computer and other network. That virtual network/cable creates a tunnel that encrypts any data that passes through it. VPN created network can have special rules and permissions and becouse of that rules you dont have internet connections. You need to setup VPN server/router/firewall properly and create VPN user with permissions that you need to have.

Aug 15, 2018

I'm using one of the ibVPN servers in order to browse anonymously. I'm just not sure if the traffic will still be read by my internet service provider, if my macbook is not on a VPN, but my older laptop is. I've noticed that all my traffic is being routed through my macbook pro. Hopefully that clarifies things.

Thanks!