Question Using watercooling to try and keep my PC room cool.

Lyrellia

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
The problem I have is not the GPU or CPU overheating - it is the actual room I run my PCs in (I run 3 PCs plus a laptop) getting unbearably hot especially in summer.
My GPUs are all due for an upgrade in the coming months, and one thing I have thought about is changing to water cooling. Now all my current and the ones I am thinking of getting GPU-wise will be pretty mid-range and not overclocked so dont really need it, but one thing I have thought of is to run a large water cooling loop across all 3 PCs (and a laptop frame cooler), taking in the new GPUs as well as new CPU heatsinks for my existing CPUs. The loop would be run to a different room in the house or possibly even outside where the radiators and fans would be mounted, so the heat from the PCs would be thrown away from my PC room keeping the temperature down, and there would be failsafe electrics to ensure you cant turn on a PC without the cooling loop running.
I am pretty handy with tools and so constructing such a system would pose no problem, however what I want to know, would there be any problems cooling-wise that would crop up from diverting the heated coolant a long way from the PC (the pipes would be lagged), and would there be any problems with combining the cooling systems from all 3 PCs (and a laptop) into one (obviously I would be using bigger pipes than normal to cope with the extra heat).
Oh and before people say, yes I know a lot of the readers on this site are American Americans from America who have something called 'air conditioning' to deal with this problem, but I do not live in America, I live in the UK - and residential air conditioning does not exist here.

USAFRet

Titan
Moving the radiator to a whole different room?
That is pretty hardcore.

One system across multiple systems?
You will need a HUGE pump for this.

Instead, lets investigate the actual problem.
Right now, I have 3x PCs running, as well as a NAS with 12x HDD (~80TB space)...no heat problem at all.

Being in the UK, how many days of the year is this heat a problem?
Why not just an exhaust fan, blowing out a window?

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
My main concern with this would be physics, honestly. Creating and running a custom loop that, say, dumps the heat right outside the case is one thing. Running a loop through different systems, then out of the room? That's a lot. You will need serious equipment to keep up water flow there. It might honestly be better to just relocate machines or, heck, get an AC in there. Even a portable one. And before you complain about the suggestion, I don't live in the US and air conditioning is not that common in Germany, either, and yet it does exist, and yes, it also exists in the UK. You just have to look for it.

Btw, my room doesn't notably heat up from a single PC and I got rather serious equipment in there. Yeah, yeah, it's only a single computer, I know. But looking at the post above, it still shouldn't be that bad. The advise with the outblowing fan is excellent, btw. I would also recommend to open the door to your computer room for better exchange. Also, use shutters to keep it cool in there when you are not using the room, and open the windows over night for some fresh air. But remember, if you are simply living in an unfavorable location like directly under a roof, there isn't much you can do about the heat... and it's not your computer producing most of it.