Using windows 7 professional upgrade to clean install

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I was wondering after read the stickie if anyone here has had success using a windows 7 professional upgrade and a fresh hard drive?
I don't want to mess around with the registry if i can help it but dont want to have to install xp just to install windows 7 at the same time i dont want to throw money away on the upgrade even though its cheap if i cant use it without faffing trying to find my xp stuff, also i want 64bit and for what i have found i cant put that onto my xp
cheers for any insight

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
well there wont be anything installed on the hdd, i'm building a new pc and although i have xp kicking around somewhere i dont think i'll be able to find it any time soon to install it onto the new hdd before upgrading to windows 7. also if there was an easier way to do it without having to go through the hassle of installing xp and then 7 it would be handy but i dont want to go out and buy everything to find that the pc wont have an OS until i can get my hands on the xp stuff

If you haven't bought the upgrade copy yet (which, if I am reading your posts correctly, you have not made the purchase yet), just buy an OEM copy of 7 so you don't have to bother looking for your copy of XP. OEM copies are cheaper than Upgrade versions anyway.

That said, there are differences between the Retail/Upgrade licenses, and the OEM license. Those differences are detailed in number 8 of this thread.

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

i can get the upgrade of professional for £43 hence why i'm asking. if i could get a full one for that i would be more than happy lol

Read the link I posted. There doesn't have to be a previous version of XP on your system, you just need to own an XP license so that what you're doing is legal.

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
sorry i did read it but must have had my brain kept in its "safe place" at the time lol. so as long as if someone comes tapping on the door(however unlikely) I can produce my license for xp i'm fine?
it will install alright without hassle when it comes to activating it?

TRENDING THREADS