using wireless purely for ethernet access

Hi,

I have a question regarding setting up a wireless network
purely for file/sharing (and server/client environment)
without ever having a boradband connection. The reason why
I want to know an answer is that I'm planning to buy a
802.11g wireless networking kit for my XP Professional
laptop and WinMe desktop with a cable modem connection and
at a later date can I completely get rid of my broadband
connection (forever) and still be able to use the wireless
setup in a LAN environment?

Also, some wireless routers are named wireless Cable/DSL
routers whereas some are called mereley wirless network
routers? Are those one and the same?

Thanks for your help,
- Ram

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

the cable modem provides you access to the internet. if you just want to
talk between your two machines and nothing else you don't ever need that,
you can either do a wired or wireless lan and transfer your files back and
forth all you want without it. however, once you get rid of the cable
connection you can't get 802.11g to magically pull the internet out of the
air... unless you have a neighbor who hasn't secured their wireless of
course ;-)

on the different names for the routers, you would have to check the mfg
specs. there may be some that just have an ethernet jack for the wan
(internet) side and others may include either the dsl or cable interface
built in... for instance, you can buy isdn routers that have the isdn
interface built in as the only wan side interface and others that have both
the isdn and ethernet wan interfaces.

"Ram" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding setting up a wireless network
> purely for file/sharing (and server/client environment)
> without ever having a boradband connection. The reason why
> I want to know an answer is that I'm planning to buy a
> 802.11g wireless networking kit for my XP Professional
> laptop and WinMe desktop with a cable modem connection and
> at a later date can I completely get rid of my broadband
> connection (forever) and still be able to use the wireless
> setup in a LAN environment?
>
> Also, some wireless routers are named wireless Cable/DSL
> routers whereas some are called mereley wirless network
> routers? Are those one and the same?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> - Ram

Dave:
Thanks for your quick response. I do understand that I
will need a cable modem and and ISP to connect to the
internet.... may be I did not state my question
properly... my question was ...right now I have a
broadband internet (cable)and I'm planning to buy 802.11g
networking kit to connect my WinXP laptop and WinMe
desktop (and also share the internet connection). And I
wanted to know whether can I still use the wireless setup
that I'm going to setup now (purely for ethernet
file/sharing purposes) even if I loose my broadband
connection in the future (permanently).

In other words, is a broadband connection mandatory for
setting up and using a wireless (802.11g) network or is it
optional (and can be used purely for wireless file/sharing
activities)?

Thanks,
- Ram

mark

It is optional.
You don't need it to set upa wireless network.

> Dave:
> Thanks for your quick response. I do understand that I
> will need a cable modem and and ISP to connect to the
> internet.... may be I did not state my question
> properly... my question was ...right now I have a
> broadband internet (cable)and I'm planning to buy 802.11g
> networking kit to connect my WinXP laptop and WinMe
> desktop (and also share the internet connection). And I
> wanted to know whether can I still use the wireless setup
> that I'm going to setup now (purely for ethernet
> file/sharing purposes) even if I loose my broadband
> connection in the future (permanently).
>
> In other words, is a broadband connection mandatory for
> setting up and using a wireless (802.11g) network or is it
> optional (and can be used purely for wireless file/sharing
> activities)?
>
> Thanks,
> - Ram

Hex

dude, if you have cable internet connection and wants to
share it to you other computers, you need the wireless
cable router plus wireless network cards on each of your
computer.

if you just want to use wireless for file transfers
between your computers, you just need to install wireless
network cards in each computer and configure your network
as ad-hoc.