Using Xeons in main desktop?

SuperPaperFan

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
http://ark.intel.com/m/products/52578/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5687-12M-Cache-3_60-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI#@product/specifications

I wanna use this cpu in a dual configuration and was wondering if this would be a nice cpu for a desktop. Getting them for cheap so price isn't a concern. How well would these do against more consumer level intel cpus, and what are their equivalents? Also, any things I should know about a xeon build, besides things like lack of an audio chip, graphics and having a few outdated ports? Thanks.

Solution
It will heat your room up. 2x130W cpus usually means hot an noisy. Will you benefit from more threads? That is really the question.
Things to know about a dual socket build. You can't use windows home. You need a power supply with two EPS12V plugs. You will probably need ECC RAM. You will want to buy ram in multiples of SIX for optimum performance. That means 12GB, 24GB, 48GB etc. Dual socket motherboards will probably be EATX sized so you need a big case.

iamacow

Admirable
Nope, that is 3 generations old now. The X series is 1366 Socket. The Xeon is on the 2011v3 socket. Others also but you will need an E5 if your looking at 2 CPUs.

They are the same chip. So that CPU is a i7 960 basically without some VM and network codes for servers.

If you want a really cheap build with decent speeds, look at the Xeon E5 2670. They are under $100 on ebay. 8Core 2.6ghz.

kanewolf

Titan
It will heat your room up. 2x130W cpus usually means hot an noisy. Will you benefit from more threads? That is really the question.
Things to know about a dual socket build. You can't use windows home. You need a power supply with two EPS12V plugs. You will probably need ECC RAM. You will want to buy ram in multiples of SIX for optimum performance. That means 12GB, 24GB, 48GB etc. Dual socket motherboards will probably be EATX sized so you need a big case.

Solution