jmac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

I've read a bunch of posts that are similar to my question, but nothing that
nails it. Here's the situation:

I'm looking to replace a corrupt, virus infected HD with a completely new
HD. I'm not looking to save any old data, a completely fresh start! The old
HD will be tossed in the garbage. Can I use my XP Ugrade CD (the computer
came with 98 installed) as the OS on my new HD. If so, do I simply boot to
the CD at the first startup?

Thanks!

The short answers are yes and yes.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

The limitation is that you must be able to produce "qualifying media" during
the installation from the XP CD if you're installing on a drive with no
qualifying OS. I use a backup CD-R copy of my retail Win98 upgrade CD. (No
license code for Win98 is required for the qualification.)

The new XP installation will require activation again. The Net-based
activation will probably work. If not, use the telephone method. The
automated part of that would fail as well, and you'd be transferred to a
person. Explain that you're installing a new hard drive on the original
machine, and there should be no problem. (The total time to activate by
'phone is approx. 5 minutes.) It would also be legitimate to install XP on a
completely new PC, as a retail XP license can be transferred in compliance
with the license agreement.

HTH.

"JMAC" <JMAC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read a bunch of posts that are similar to my question, but nothing
> that
> nails it. Here's the situation:
>
> I'm looking to replace a corrupt, virus infected HD with a completely new
> HD. I'm not looking to save any old data, a completely fresh start! The
> old
> HD will be tossed in the garbage. Can I use my XP Ugrade CD (the computer
> came with 98 installed) as the OS on my new HD. If so, do I simply boot
> the CD at the first startup?
>
> Thanks!

A virus infected hard drive is no reason to replace the drive.
A Clean Installation will clean the virus off the drive:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

You can use the Windows XP upgrade CD, you will have qualifying media
such as a Windows 98 CD.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]