USN Journal of unknown drive?

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
I've had the following pop up the last four or so days. I was wondering if this is my HDD failing or if it's something else? This happens every time I start my computer and if I let it go it just gets stuck at complete forcing me to force a restart.

https://i.imgur.com/9plap8v.jpg

I apologize for the quality of picture. It's a WD blue 1TB HDD. It's roughly 5 years old and it's never had a problem until now. My SDD currently runs windows and a single game. The HDD has everything else on it.

- I've tried using the WD diagnostic which fails everything except the "SMART test".
- I've scanned it with the windows repair and it says there are no problems.
- I have also tried EaseUS Partition Master which runs the chkdsk d: /r and /f command and nothing pops up.

So I'm at a complete loss. I just want to know if I should buy a new HDD or if this is a problem with software?

Solution
Hale82 is not great quality. Low end internal platform. That unit has problems with poor build quality, bad voltage regulation on the 3.3v rail, high levels of ripple and noise, which tends to kill the capacitors on motherboards, graphics cards and can affect hard drives too.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=297

I would not be surprised if the PSU was responsible for at least part of the problem with your hard drive. I'd highly recommend replacing that unit with a higher quality model, and we've historically seen fairly frequent problems in the past with users of that PSU series (Hale82) across the board.

Sucks to have a drive fail and find out your PSU is not the greatest all in one shot, but...

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks for the reply Darkbreeze. I've already ran the tests on WD data life guard. It's only passed the "SMART" test and failed the others.

Edit 1: The Extended test ran from 2PM yesterday until now. It only increased estimated time and got stuck on file 57599. I eventually had to force the scan to stop.

Ok. So if it failed the extended test, try testing again using a different SATA cable. Try connecting the drive to a different SATA header on the motherboard.

A bad cable or bad header could cause these issues as can a motherboard that has a storage controller that is beginning to fail. Usually it is the drive if it fails the extended tests but it's best to eliminate all other possibilities first.

Also, it would be best to try and get any salvageable data off that drive before doing further testing, just in case. Testing can cause a failing drive to just plain fail, completely.

Have you had ANY unusual symptoms or problems with the OS drive? What is the model of your power supply?

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
I've already backed up the HDD on to an external. I just switched the cable with a new cable and moved slots on the MB. Nothing changes. I bought a crucial SSD for my OS and World of Warcraft. That drive has been 110% since I bought it a couple of months ago. The problem just randomly showed up after formatting my HDD. Though it didn't show for said two months.
(My HDD is used to keep everything else on, including steam games, pictures and things like that.)

My PS is a NZXT 750W Hale82 series.

Hale82 is not great quality. Low end internal platform. That unit has problems with poor build quality, bad voltage regulation on the 3.3v rail, high levels of ripple and noise, which tends to kill the capacitors on motherboards, graphics cards and can affect hard drives too.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=297

I would not be surprised if the PSU was responsible for at least part of the problem with your hard drive. I'd highly recommend replacing that unit with a higher quality model, and we've historically seen fairly frequent problems in the past with users of that PSU series (Hale82) across the board.

Sucks to have a drive fail and find out your PSU is not the greatest all in one shot, but there it is. If that PSU has a lot of miles on it, which it likely does, the problems are most likely even more amplified from what was seen during testing on that review since that was a brand new unit.

Solution

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
So you're saying my HDD is beginning to go, correct?

I appreciate the information and if it's my PS that goes I'll replace it then. I have to save some cash.

Since you already have your data backed up, and have the OS on another drive, I'd focus on the PSU first, and I'd do it soon unless you want to buy other hardware as well. High levels of ripple will absolutely trash the capacitors on a motherboard and if were my system, I would not want to keep using it with hardware that still works and end up having to replace MORE hardware as well.

Just my 2cents. Hate to see anybody have to replace a motherboard, plus a hard drive, and maybe a graphics card, over a fifty or sixty dollar component.

TRENDING THREADS