Question Utechsmart Venus software not working in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys;
I have a Utechsmart Venus D-16400 gaming mouse. It was working fine in Windows 7 using its driver, but since upgrading to Windows 10, the utechsmart driver is installed, but I cannot change any of the mouse functions with it. The mouse works normally; I can change the DPI using the button on the top, and I can change the color of the lighting using the button on the bottom, but that won't give me the choices I could get in the software. Also, I would like to assign macro buttons, but cannot do that either.
Basically, the software doesn't do anything at all.

I tried un-installing the mouse, then restarting the computer, but that didn't change anything.
I thought that perhaps if I could rename the driver files in Windows\System32\drivers, and then re-install the utechsmart driver, I would get what I wanted, but when I attempted that, I was denied permission to do so.

I have Googled several times looking for a solution, but so far have not been able to find one.

While this is not an important issue, it would be nice to have the features I bought this mouse for.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

frollie

Reputable
Apr 18, 2020
I think I have a solution for you! I was experiencing the exact problem you're describing after reinstalling Windows 10 and downloading the Utechsmart Venus drivers/software from their website. Turns out the problem for me was not Windows 10 but the software itself. At some point since 2018, the software was updated and these bugs were introduced. I realized this because I happen to have 2 pcs with Windows 10 installed and they each have a Utechsmart Venus mouse. I compared the software properties on each PC and realized they were not the same. I then realized I still had the installer for the version of the software from 2018 in the Downloads directory. I uninstalled the new version and installed the old version and it worked immediately!

If you want to check what version you have:

• Hit your Windows key and type Utech.
  • Right click on the program > More > Open file location.
  • Right click on the shortcut > Properties.
  • Click the General tab.
  • If you have the working version you should see: "Description: OGMCfg". If you have the broken version it may say something like "TODO...".

If you're interested I can try to upload the old version somewhere.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks! I do have the TODO version. It's too bad I don't have the older version somewhere. I seem to recall that the driver was supplied on a CD when I bought the mouse. I might still have the CD, but I doubt it. Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows 7 partition anymore, or I would have the driver there.
I'll PM you and provide you with my e-mail, so you can send the file as an attachment.
I really appreciate your help!
Ultrarunner

Apr 19, 2020

Frollie,

You are amazing. I recently changed built a new computer and tried downloading the software from the current UTech Venus website. I ran into exactly the same issue as ultrarunner. I remember installing the software from a disc before, but I no longer have that disc, nor does my computer have a disc drive. Instead, I used Wayback Machine to pull up a 2018 copy of the the Utech Website and downloaded the driver from there. Works perfectly now.

I was just going to go on with my morning, but I just wanted to let you know that you've really made my day by taking the time to share your knowledge in insight.

Apr 19, 2020
I think I have a solution for you! I was experiencing the exact problem you're describing after reinstalling Windows 10 and downloading the Utechsmart Venus drivers/software from their website. Turns out the problem for me was not Windows 10 but the software itself. At some point since 2018, the software was updated and these bugs were introduced. I realized this because I happen to have 2 pcs with Windows 10 installed and they each have a Utechsmart Venus mouse. I compared the software properties on each PC and realized they were not the same. I then realized I still had the installer for the version of the software from 2018 in the Downloads directory. I uninstalled the new version and installed the old version and it worked immediately!

• Click the General tab.
  • If you have the working version you should see: "Description: OGMCfg". If you have the broken version it may say something like "TODO...".
I have the same issue, I would appreciate it if you could upload the old version somewhere.

Apr 28, 2020

• Click the General tab.

Hi Frollie,

I'm having the same issue. Any chance I can get a copy of the older software version?

I've tried the Wayback Machine solution. However, none of the software downloads I'm getting are viable.

Thanks!

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hi Frollie,

I'm having the same issue. Any chance I can get a copy of the older software version?

I've tried the Wayback Machine solution. However, none of the software downloads I'm getting are viable.

Thanks!
What date did you look at? I think I downloaded from one of the August 2018 captures. The file I am using now is dated 3/25/2015.
If that doesn't work for you, I could upload the file to my Google drive and PM you a link.

Reactions: baconface321
Apr 28, 2020
What date did you look at? I think I downloaded from one of the August 2018 captures. The file I am using now is dated 3/25/2015.
If that doesn't work for you, I could upload the file to my Google drive and PM you a link.
Niiiiice! Got it!

I think one of my problems was that I was trying to extract the .rar file using some .rar file extractor program from the Windows store.

Grabbed an August 2018 capture, extracted with 7-zip, bob's our uncle it works!

Thank you for your help. It's so nice to customize again.

Dec 4, 2019

• Click the General tab.
is it possible for me to get a copy of the old software as well? i can't seem to find it anywhere.

May 6, 2020
This thread has been a lifesaver. My Venus mouse software wasn't working after redownloading for clean install of Windows 10. Dropbox file with old software works perfectly.

I am very happy as I really love my macro buttons!

Reactions: baconface321
May 8, 2020
Frollie,

You are amazing. I recently changed built a new computer and tried downloading the software from the current UTech Venus website. I ran into exactly the same issue as ultrarunner. I remember installing the software from a disc before, but I no longer have that disc, nor does my computer have a disc drive. Instead, I used Wayback Machine to pull up a 2018 copy of the the Utech Website and downloaded the driver from there. Works perfectly now.

I was just going to go on with my morning, but I just wanted to let you know that you've really made my day by taking the time to share your knowledge in insight.
genius! thanks so much for the wayback suggestion. i've rarely used it so it escaped my mind... was just thinking "where did i put that little disc... and do i really want to connect a drive to my pc to run it?"

May 8, 2020

• Click the General tab.
thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.