Cybrex

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the place to post but I hope that someone here knows electronics WAY better than me (cause I pretty much know nothing since I haven't really done anything with wiring and such since high school....so long ago).

Anyway, I recently bought a 3D Printer. A couple of the prints I had hollowed out to make them lighter and to save on Resin. But during the curing process there's no way for the UV light to get inside which means there's uncured resin inside.

I went looking to see how people dealt with this and it seems like a UV Snake Light is the way to go. I found this video....

Now heres the thing. The person showing you how to do this does NOT mention that you have to be aware of the voltage or the LED's/battery, etc so I blew at least 4 bulbs before I realized something wasn't up.

I dug deeper and read I should have a Resister involved, so I ordered what I could find but now I'm at a wall cause I honestly have no idea how to wire it all together to make things work.

What I've bought so far....

9v Battery

T-Type 9v Battery Clip Conne

UV LED's

20mA
3.0=3.2v
400-600mcd

Metal Film Fixed Resistor

Power 1/4W (0.25 Watt)
Resistence 270 ohm (Omega symbol)
Tolerance +1%

If this isn't the right place to post of there's no place for this on Tom's Hardware please let me know and I'll see if I can find an electronics? form? lol.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Resistor is a little small, I think. Might work though, could burn out a little pre-maturely.

Basically, you are using the resistor to limit the current. As it sits, should be about 30mA.

LEDs typically drop .7 volts, so really it is 8.3/270 = ~.030A (30mA)

Basically, you are doing this:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Resistor is a little small, I think. Might work though, could burn out a little pre-maturely.

Basically, you are using the resistor to limit the current. As it sits, should be about 30mA.

LEDs typically drop .7 volts, so really it is 8.3/270 = ~.030A (30mA)

Basically, you are doing this:

Reactions: Cybrex
Solution