[SOLVED] v1.2 DP Monitor to 1.4 gpu dp cable !! PLS HELP

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Hello, im looking further to purchase a gtx 1660 but first i need some help here because when i bought my benq 144hz monitor had a v1.2 displayport cable, but the gpu that im looking to purchase has a 1.4 dp port. Now the question is, will the gpu work if i connect it with a v1.2 DP with my monitor? And last question, this is just plus, if someone can help me i would really appreciate it. My power supply has only 6pin adapter and the gpu has 8pin but i have a 6pin to 8pin adapter, if i use it there will be no problem in it right? So im just ready to go?

Solution
The 1660 draws notably more power than the 650. The 650's power usage was almost low enough to not need a PCIe connector at all.

If you look at the first link in my sig, you'll see that LC Power is one of the PSU manufacturers on the "Wall of Shame" list; a list of low quality PSUs that should never be used. This link reveals that there's only a total of 30A available on the 12V rails, so, in effect, that 500W PSU is really only 360W.

Using the 6-to-8 pin connector is dangerous. Between that, and the very low-quality of the PSU, you need to get a new PSU. Doing anything else is a gamble, both in terms of damaging your hardware, and for the possibility of causing a fire. I don't know who your "computer mechanic" is, but...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My power supply has only 6pin adapter and the gpu has 8pin but i have a 6pin to 8pin adapter, if i use it there will be no problem in it right? So im just ready to go?

NO!

A 6-pin PCIe cable is only rated to carry 75W. An 8-pin PCIe cable is rated to carry up to 150W.

If the GPU has an 8-pin connector, then it expects that it can, if needed, pull MORE than the 75W of a 6-pin.

What is the brand and EXACT model number of your power supply? I suspect that if it only has a single 6-pin, then it's probably best to replace that PSU.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
NO!

A 6-pin PCIe cable is only rated to carry 75W. An 8-pin PCIe cable is rated to carry up to 150W.

If the GPU has an 8-pin connector, then it expects that it can, if needed, pull MORE than the 75W of a 6-pin.

What is the brand and EXACT model number of your power supply? I suspect that if it only has a single 6-pin, then it's probably best to replace that PSU.
The powersupply its 500wat, the model its (LC500h-12)... When i bought my gtx650, inside the box was a 6pin to 8pin adapter, thats why im asking if that would work with my gtx1660 because from where i see that seems just perfectly fine. I will use the 6pin to 8pingpu adapter... Will that work or is that an issue? Because i even asked my computer mechanic, he said that will work fine, not perfectly, but it will work, you wont have an issue....

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 1660 draws notably more power than the 650. The 650's power usage was almost low enough to not need a PCIe connector at all.

If you look at the first link in my sig, you'll see that LC Power is one of the PSU manufacturers on the "Wall of Shame" list; a list of low quality PSUs that should never be used. This link reveals that there's only a total of 30A available on the 12V rails, so, in effect, that 500W PSU is really only 360W.

Using the 6-to-8 pin connector is dangerous. Between that, and the very low-quality of the PSU, you need to get a new PSU. Doing anything else is a gamble, both in terms of damaging your hardware, and for the possibility of causing a fire. I don't know who your "computer mechanic" is, but they are giving you bad advice.

If you were going to reject any answer besides "it's fine" regarding the 6-to-8-pin issue, then why bother asking in the first place?

Solution

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020

Using the 6-to-8 pin connector is dangerous. Between that, and the very low-quality of the PSU, you need to get a new PSU. Doing anything else is a gamble, both in terms of damaging your hardware, and for the possibility of causing a fire. I don't know who your "computer mechanic" is, but they are giving you bad advice.

If you were going to reject any answer besides "it's fine" regarding the 6-to-8-pin issue, then why bother asking in the first place?
Thats why im being careful, i just want to ask everyone and in the end ill stick to the best opinion, i dont wanna order the components and end up just looking at them. I asked a lot of people about my psu and they recommended to upgrade it. Thats what im trying to do, i thought its better to get a new psu. I scrolled down on ebay and i found this one, it seems perfectly fine and enough. 750wat 6+2pin adapter for gpu. Take a look at it and tell me if thats good to go. Here is the psu that im looking to purchase ---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artic-750W...b51f:g:GboAAOSwnh5cDtHf&LH_ItemCondition=1000

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You don't want to hear it, but that's how it is.
You can go ahead and use the adapter if you want.
BUT DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Otherwise, you need a better quality power supply.

In regards to display port (which everybody has ignored your question about) it will work fine.

Your monitor has a 1.2 DP port on it, because the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor are not high enough that it needs to be higher specification DP.

(i.e. you don't need more bandwidth.)
DP v1.2 is capable of a lot, and I mean a lot.
And 1.4 is capable of even more.

So you're fine.
Backwards compatibility means you can use the 1.2 cable to connect the 1.4 port on your graphics to the 1.2 port on your monitor.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thats why im being careful, i just want to ask everyone and in the end ill stick to the best opinion, i dont wanna order the components and end up just looking at them. I asked a lot of people about my psu and they recommended to upgrade it. Thats what im trying to do, i thought its better to get a new psu. I scrolled down on ebay and i found this one, it seems perfectly fine and enough. 750wat 6+2pin adapter for gpu. Take a look at it and tell me if thats good to go. Here is the psu that im looking to purchase ---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artic-750W-Black-ATX-Gaming-PC-6-2Pin-PCIe-PSU-Power-Supply-120mm-Blue/192754332959?epid=10026964137&hash=item2ce10db51f:g:GboAAOSwnh5cDtHf&LH_ItemCondition=1000
I'd pass. Artic is also on the Wall Of Shame.

Read the first link in my sig. It offers recommendations for what to get, and what to avoid. But, the wall of shame is this part of that write-up:
Other models that IN GENERAL should never be trusted OR USED AT ALL, under any circumstances.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two (Or manufacture anything from mediocre to decent quality units under other brand names but not their own. One example would be HEC that makes some decent models under the Cougar label and a few rather borderline ones in the past for EVGA, but their own HEC/Compucase Orion units have historically been terrible.) that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for, but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications s far as units sold under their OWN name, I have yet to see any that were of recommendable quality or in many cases even safe for use.

Acbell, A-Top, AK Power, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC (Compucase Orion), HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Just PC, Kentek, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.